Going grey gracefully

Old 01-04-2011, 03:52 PM

I dyed my hair for a few years until my hairdresser changed the formula. After a while I began to get a deep tissue itch in my neck which was a reaction to the dye. I stopped and went grey/white. I use American Crew for grey hair on her recommendation. Order it on line at http://www.salonsavings.com/american-crew/
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Maybe find a hair stylist that will give you a great haircut to start with. Something that really suits you face, and the natural hair colour will complement and make it's own statement? Faces are like quilt blocks, the shapes and sizes and angles an colours have to fit, sometimes it takes an expert to figure out the fit! Whew! that's my art philosophy for the day!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM

I have been snow white for 10 years but color my hair. About 2 years ago I decided to see what it looked like. My hair stylist began by highlighting my hair and we slowly lightened it until we could cut it and then bleached out what was left of the color 3 times. I used an over the counter whitener, found at the drug store to tone down the ends. And wella! I was white. It lasted three months and then I could not take the non-color and went back to coloring my hair. Oh, I am 60. I started getting grey at 30. And did not color until 45. I think you have to keep a current hair style to keep it young if you go natural.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM

I have been snow white for 10 years but color my hair. About 2 years ago I decided to see what it looked like. My hair stylist began by highlighting my hair and we slowly lightened it until we could cut it and then bleached out what was left of the color 3 times. I used an over the counter whitener, found at the drug store to tone down the ends. And wella! I was white. It lasted three months and then I could not take the non-color and went back to coloring my hair. Oh, I am 60. I started getting grey at 30. And did not color until 45. I think you have to keep a current hair style to keep it young if you go natural.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
Pantene makes a good blue shampoo called Silver Expressions, cream rinse too, mine is white with silver sparkles and has been since my 30s, if you smoke or are around someone who does it will always have a yellow tint. part of why I quit smoking!
My hair is naturally silver gray, I help it along with the silver expressions or but from a beauty shop.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 PM

I dyed my hair for many years, but grew it out last year. Everyone cheered at Christmas when they saw the grey hair for the first time. They all think it looks better than the dye job, so maybe we kid ourselves about what looks good.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but when I turned 49 I went to the salon and had them strip the color (as in hair dye) and recolor it gray. I also now use salon hair products as they are milder and really bring out the color of my new natural color. It is now mostly silver and white and I absolutely love it.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM

I had to quit coloring and perming my hair about 15 years ago due to Graves disease and losing my hair. My hair went white quickly, probably within a month. I didn't like it, but everyone else did. They even thought I was highlighting it or something. Even after 15 years, I am still not used to my hair being so white. I get compliments on it all the time, and I am just amazed. I would give anything to have my curled, colored hair back. - Cynthia
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM

There is a shampoo from Clairol called Shimmer Lights that helps to keep gray nice and bright. Can be found at most beauty supplies.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM

I'm naturally an ash blonde that started going grey in my early 20's. It's funny, when I was a teenager, I used to lifeguard and my hair would sun bleach out to completely white (then turn green from the chlorine). Anyway, I have a streak in the front that was always lighter than the rest of my hair and that's where I started going grey. In fact, that's the only place I'm grey now and I'm pushing 50. Well, just like someone mentioned earlier about feeling like Cruella, for me it made me feel like a skunk. So I dyed my hair to match my natural color. This worked out great because as it grew out no one could really tell the difference. Except I would see the grey and know it was time to dye again. About 9 months ago I just quit. Since my hair is so light anyway, the grey pretty much blends in so I'm ok with it now. If I'm feeling really sensitive about it, I avoid looking in the mirror or change my part so the nongrey hair shows more than the grey.

To keep my hair, both blonde and grey, bright I just use something that I got at the hair dresser that's purple or blue. But you only use a dime size amount and mix it with your regular shampoo. I also only use shampoo for blondes and something to control the frizz because I have really coarse hair with a mind of it's own. I also avoid chlorine; green hair doesn't look so good when it's wet (kinda like snot).