Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart Fabric Department News >

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Wal-Mart Fabric Department News

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eisgoow
Hi, well, I live in Sarasota, Florida and they have kept their great fabric department, HOWEVER, the bolts are just stacked on one another and it is a bear trying to find what you want. Wish they would at least stand them on end.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jecreed
I love your Boston too! My Boston died about 2 months ago. I miss her so much!
Oh my gosh, I'm soooo sorry. I bet you do miss her so very much. :( Bless your heart.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM

So I'm trying to be positive about all of this but I do have one teensie negative thing to say about Jo-Ann Fabrics. I try and try to order online but it seems like they are always out of what I want. Then just when I think I've hit the jackpot (like the other day) and my order finally goes through, I get an e-mail from them a few days later informing me that what I have ordered is out of stock and they are canceling my order. Really? And they couldn't have figured that out when I placed the order? At least when I go to Wal-Mart they either have the fabric or they don't. :) I love Wal-Mart!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
do you really use walmart fabric in your quilts, or just decor type holiday, crafty things?
I'm on here b/c I quilt. Not because I make "decor type holiday crafty things." So I guess that would be an enthusiastic YES! :)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by unkin123
I can't imagine why I would pay $13 per yard for fabric at a small quilt shop when I can get the same thing at WM for $5 per yard. Just cheap I guess.
From my experience of shopping at every discount store there is carrying fabric - and recently finding a LQS twenty miles from my house - the only similarity of the fabric is they both are cotton! What a difference there is in processing, the applied dyes, and consequently the hand of the fabric. I've now sworn I am willing to make fewer pieces, as I invest in something I really want! I thank God we still have choice.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
I live in Monroe GA and the Walmarts that I have within a reasonable drive do not have fabrics anymore other than precuts. So if anyone in this area of GA knows any that still carries bolts, would appreciate knowing. I heard there is a place in Covington called OHCO that carries lots of fabrics but have not checked that out yet.
The one in Albany,Ga still have their fabric department also a joann's and a hobby lobby.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM

I really hope we can try to stop making this a debate about who thinks Wal-Mart fabric is nothing but crap and who will only buy at their LQS. The intent of my post was to give hope to people who LIKE shopping at Wal-Mart for fabric. That's it. Some people like to make a lot of quilts and simply can't afford the high prices at their LQS. Some people can afford it and still choose Wal-Mart for other reasons. But it's our choice. I love Wal-Mart. Maybe those who want to offer their opinion about Wal-Mart fabric can start another thread? Just a thought. :)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 AM
QM
Power Poster

I love both. They serve different purposes for me. My LQS simply does not carry the sort of novelty print that I love to use in making charity quilts for kids in out of home placements. My "local" WM is 65 miles away. After I was assured by the head of the fabric section that no change was in the works, the department was closed. The next closest WM is 90 miles away (that's one way.) I love living in a forest on a mountain, but it does limit my shopping.

I get really huffy with people who tell others the "only right" way to quilt. It's your quilt. Do it your way, in keeping with your budget. I generally dislike "art" quilts, but there is nothing wrong with them. I have a very laissez-faire attitude towards quilts and quilters.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Hello from s.c. the walmart here has not had fabic in almost 2 long years now and I miss it so even my 12 year old daughter will argee because she just started learning to sew .I really miss it because I use to make mitilary blankets for the troops and it's so hard to find the fabic.so we are still hoping that the walmart here will change about it soon. love the things you have on here.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

walmart is coming out with new fabric and some of the others are being discounted right now....should see the little boy on overalls saying "what happens on the tractor...stays on the tractors" and has 2 other bolt to match it in red and blue banadas prints..so cute!