Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cabbage Recipes:  Do you eat cabbage on New Years Day? Post your Cabbage Recipes here for all of us to enjoy! >

Cabbage Recipes: Do you eat cabbage on New Years Day? Post your Cabbage Recipes here for all of us to enjoy!

Cabbage Recipes: Do you eat cabbage on New Years Day? Post your Cabbage Recipes here for all of us to enjoy!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm having saurkraut and pork cooked in crockpot. Mashed potatoes on the side.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM

We quarter the head of cabbage and steam it. My family enjoys this with rice and Korean hot sauce. They wrap rice and hot sauce in a leaf of cabbage, then eat. Not the most genteel way to eat, maybe, but fun!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Dough:

2 c warm water
2 pkgs yeast
1/3 c sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 c flour
Beat for 2 minutes
Add:
2 eggs
1/3 c shortening or lard
Beat 1 minute
Gradually add around 4 1/2 c more flour
Let set at least 20 while making filling

Filling:
Brown 2-3 lbs ground beef (I brown with some onion and season salt)
In another pan, wilt a head of shredded cabbage with 1 Tablespoon butter and pepper (to taste)
Combine browned beef and wilted cabbage.

Preheat oven to 350. Flatten a small amount of dough on lightly floured surface. Spoon some cabbage mixture onto flattened dough. Bring edges of dough around mixture and seal. Place, seam side down, on cookie sheet. Repeat till pan is full and place in oven for around 25 minutes or till golden brown.
*I like to butter these when I remove from oven.
** If you like after these are baked, cut a slit on the side and slide a slice of cheese in. Best not to bake with cheese in as it will all bubble out.
***Ground turkey may also be used instead of beef.

May freeze
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Willa
Dough:

2 c warm water
2 pkgs yeast
1/3 c sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
2 c flour
Beat for 2 minutes
Add:
2 eggs
1/3 c shortening or lard
Beat 1 minute
Gradually add around 4 1/2 c more flour
Let set at least 20 while making filling

Filling:
Brown 2-3 lbs ground beef (I brown with some onion and season salt)
In another pan, wilt a head of shredded cabbage with 1 Tablespoon butter and pepper (to taste)
Combine browned beef and wilted cabbage.

Preheat oven to 350. Flatten a small amount of dough on lightly floured surface. Spoon some cabbage mixture onto flattened dough. Bring edges of dough around mixture and seal. Place, seam side down, on cookie sheet. Repeat till pan is full and place in oven for around 25 minutes or till golden brown.
*I like to butter these when I remove from oven.
** If you like after these are baked, cut a slit on the side and slide a slice of cheese in. Best not to bake with cheese in as it will all bubble out.
***Ground turkey may also be used instead of beef.

May freeze
Hi Willa, What do you call these. I make a version of these and we call them barokes. I have no idea where the name came from and the recipe came from a friends sister who lives in northern Alberta. I brown hamburger, onions and I fry sliced and chopped cabbage in a separate frypan then add to hamburger and onions. also fry bacon (lots) and add to hamburger mix and we like to add sauerkraut also. slightly cool and put in middle of bread dough made into buns. My husband loves these as do the whole family. My aunt used to make them for her sons when they were trucking. Wrapped in tinfoil and they would put on manifold on truck to heat them. Loved them for lunches. Lylamarie
Old 01-02-2011, 03:54 PM

I think eating cabbage on New Year's Day is primarily a tradition. Years ago they used to scrub a coin thoroughly and put it in the cabbage. Whoever got the coin was supposed to have good luck.

My daughter lives in Knoxville and she says down there they eat black eyed peas along with greens for New Year's. I like greens but I think I will stay with the cabbage, good luck or not.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM

My stove went out and I had to cook on a two burner cook top, so we had our ham and blackeyes, cornbread but no cooked cabbage. The coldslaw was great. Maybe we will some cold hard cash in the comming year.