Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by gawney
this didn't happen in a store but it upset me anyway. I joined a quilting group to learn how to quilt I was very excited about it. The second night I was there everyone was talking and it seemed whenever I said something it was like I was invisible. They were all talking about there Chrismas dinner and that thay were going to Swish Chalet but not one person asked me if I would be going or which resaurant they were going to. Then I was so excited about buying lots of fabric from connecting threads sale and one lady was very upset that I was buying fabric from the U.S.A. I told her that I could not afford to buy my fabric in Canada as most of it is about 17 dollars a metre. Then as I was sewing she said my sewing machine sounded funny and had I ever had it serviced (it is a brother that I bought at wal-mart for about 90 dollars) by the way she had just bought a longarm and she was waiting for it to come across the border (go Figure) she also said she used to sell pfaff machines so I guess my cheap brother machine wasn't up to her standards so needless to say I have not returned to the group. I was so looking forward to joining this group I don't know if I should go back or not.
It is sad that you were exposed to such snobs,that try to tear down someone else to make them selves look important. You can no doubt do just as well on you machine as that woman can with her pfaff. And there are lots of folks right here on this site that can give you any help you want. Don't worry about what you use to sew with. If you learn the skill, you can use a pedal machine and do great work.And ask questions , always. :thumbup:
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

this didn't happen in a store but it upset me anyway. I joined a quilting group to learn how to quilt I was very excited about it. The second night I was there everyone was talking and it seemed whenever I said something it was like I was invisible. They were all talking about there Chrismas dinner and that thay were going to Swish Chalet but not one person asked me if I would be going or which resaurant they were going to. Then I was so excited about buying lots of fabric from connecting threads sale and one lady was very upset that I was buying fabric from the U.S.A. I told her that I could not afford to buy my fabric in Canada as most of it is about 17 dollars a metre. Then as I was sewing she said my sewing machine sounded funny and had I ever had it serviced (it is a brother that I bought at wal-mart for about 90 dollars) by the way she had just bought a longarm and she was waiting for it to come across the border (go Figure) she also said she used to sell pfaff machines so I guess my cheap brother machine wasn't up to her standards so needless to say I have not returned to the group. I was so looking forward to joining this group I don't know if I should go back or not.
Don't judge the entire group from the comments and behavior of one person. Remember there is one in every crowd The rest of them may be wonderful.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm sorry you had a horrible experience. I doubt I would go back. I would look for another group in the area.
You always have this group- there are many nice and helpful people. You are able to search old threads and post questions- there's lots of valuable info. Just ask!
Welcome from New York
-Diane
Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Quilt snobs!! deliver me...That is one thing I was happy about on this Board, when we started taking about fiber content of our fabrics and I found that lots (not all, but LOTS) of us are using blends and some other things as well and not all 100% cottons. love this Board!!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM

I'm so sorry this happened. I would probably go back to give it one last chance, but also search out other groups in the area, or even start my own!

Keep your chin up. I went through the same attitude when I shpwed up to class with my $90 Brother. They shut their mouths pretty quickly when they saw what I produced! A sewing machine doesn't make a quilt; a person does.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Baaaad hair day!!!! Or maybe an ingrown toe nail.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 AM

I probably would have quipped back, OH, you must be the quilt police person. Its so nice that your on duty today to criticize what I will do with my fabric. Ok ok I can be a real snip occasionally. grin.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 AM

She sounds a little "off the beam" to me. I had to laugh though. You just never know who you'll meet at the LQS!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I have talked to people in passing and if I see a fabric that I really like in their cart I will tell them that I love that fabric. They are probably weirded out be my also, but that is okay. I have two little kids and I am a stay at home mommy, I just like to talk to adults in passing even if it is to say that I love that fabric they have in their cart. So Sorry to all those I come across and say something to. I don't mean to offend or creep you out. I just need adult conversation once in a while. Talking to kids can get tiring some days.
I am like you, I often ask someone what they are going to make from their fabric or let them know I like it. I never thought I was being rude - just striking up conversations with fellow quilters. I can usually tell if people do not like my asking and if I get that feeling I just move on hoping to run into a quilter that will talk. Like someone else said, most quilters are talkative, friendly people. I usually quilt alone, so if I am in a quilt shop I feel like I am around people with like interests and try to converse with them. Now I'm afraid I may not be so talkative for fear someone may think I'm strange.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 AM

I would have been very tempted to say: I will cut some of it into strips to use for gags for people that should be seen and not heard, or else that I will seam it up for bags so I can hide the bodies in!!! LOL Just kidding,