Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meeting with other quilters >

Meeting with other quilters

Meeting with other quilters

Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Hi Carol.
I graduated from Decatur Belmont High and do not live far from Shipshewanna. That would be fun to meet, shop etc...I do most all my sewing, quilting, and embroidery alone...

Hope to hear from you
Joyce
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM

I meet and sew with a group of quilters every Thursday and then with a different group on Friday. We all often go to Quilt Retreats together. Lots of fun and lots of ideas.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Is there anyone from around Warsaw, In interested in starting a club to get together for all our projects????

email me at [email protected]

Joyce
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM

I have been meeting once a week since 1996 with the same group of women (almost, we started out with eight and are now down to the nitty gritty 5) We have tryed several different things. We take turns meeting at each other's houses. At times we have worked on the same project and other times our "own thing". It is nice to get together because we inspire each other and when we have a problem we have someone to help. We have gone on shopping trips to Amish Country in Pennsylvania. ONe year we all went on a cruise to Bermuda. This way our husbands get to know each other. Our friendships have grown stronger each year. Quilting has brought so much joy to my life I really quilt to live.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM

I meet one a week with a couple of quilters. Sometimes we decide on a quilt to make and start working on it. Other times we work on UFO's whether they are quilting, sewing or crafting. WE bring our lunch and have a great day together. We sjupport each other and share our problems. Problems seem smaller if you have a good friend to talk to. Tess
Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM

I was to meet with one of our members on a Mon for lunch but she had family issues and I haven't heard anymore.
I was interested in meeting a person from the Quilting Bd.
Still would like to connect with member here.

I belong to a "group" that meets in a church hall on Tues.
mornings where we make children charity quilts and our own projects.
In summer group up north we make quilts with flannel backing for adults diagnoised with cancer and have made over 700. Meet upstairs in a grocery store meeting room for free. Victoria Quilt's even own a Gammil Longarm.

Originally Posted by LindaZ
One of the other board members and I are trying to connect as we are sew alone quilters. Is there anyone else that meets with others. How often? What do you do? (other than talk about quilting)? At each others house? Do you sew on projects? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 AM

That sounds wonderful! Lucky you.....Many guilds have way over 100 members & that's fine for those who do good in crowds.I'd prefer a smaller group where you can get to know each other.

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I meet once a month with about 12 ladies. We bring our own lunch and the host lady supplies tea, coffee. Some of us bring biscuits, cakes or sugar supplies.
We have a "Show and Tell" time, where everyone shows off their latest finished or WIP. We show photos of quilt shows or discuss new shops, products, trends,etc.
It starts at 10:00am and finishes at 4:00pm. Some ladies only come for the morning or afternoon session and some of us stay all day. We are not compelled to go every month. However, I find it so inspiring that I would not miss it. There are so many talented ladies there, who are willing to share. Some of them have published and some have won major competitions so I am in awe of them.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 AM

There is a group (Material Girls) at our Senior Center. We meet weekly for 2 hours to quilt. We also have outing to LQS's. An then several of us meet once a month at a members house for food fun & fellowship & discuss our current projects. We are planning on making several 12" blocks for a quarterly drawing.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM

I have noticed that several members who want to meet with others have their location 'in hiding.' It would be helpful for others to find you if you put in your state. Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
A

I get together with 8 other women who are learning to quilt. I am their teacher - the classes are free. We meet 4 times a month at our Church (where there are LONG tables for stretching) and then we also meet inbetween classes ... for fun shopping for fabric choices. We have great fun!

This year we will do one 'Bible Block' a month & in the end set it all together for a lap quilt. For those faster than others we will be doing 3 other quilts - Courthouse Steps, Roman Stripe & Card Trick.

Last year we did a 'star of the month' - and made 20 quilts that we gave to the older folks home. The down deep feeling...is wonderful!