Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Sewing Machine Question~ >

Vintage Sewing Machine Question~

Vintage Sewing Machine Question~

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Here is a useful link for dating your Singer machines:

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 AM

I love my treadle and would not trade it for anything. It sews so straight only draw back my legs get tired!! Use your machine :)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 AM

[quote=CristyK1]One of the ladies in my mom's quilt class said I was a fool to be using it. [quote]

About a year ago I bought a 1930's vintage hand-crank Singer to use when going to car shows with my significant other. He enjoys the old cars, I could care less but like to be with him. Working with this machine is wonderful! People will stop by and ask me how can I possibly sew using just one hand for the fabric?? Easy, I say, because the stitch is so straight, little guiding is needed!

That said, have you ever seen the tv commercial where two women are "discussing" high fructose, or corn syrup, in a kid's drink? One woman objects, the other asks her "why??" The first woman is put on the spot, trying to come up with reasons for not using that particular drink. Makes me wonder if the same approach might not work with your "fool" commentor! Ask her "why not use it??" See what she comes up with. Bet you can counter every reason she thinks of!

Also, you're not a fool. How rude of her!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

[quote=QBeth][quote=CristyK1]One of the ladies in my mom's quilt class said I was a fool to be using it.

About a year ago I bought a 1930's vintage hand-crank Singer to use when going to car shows with my significant other. He enjoys the old cars, I could care less but like to be with him. Working with this machine is wonderful! People will stop by and ask me how can I possibly sew using just one hand for the fabric?? Easy, I say, because the stitch is so straight, little guiding is needed!

That said, have you ever seen the tv commercial where two women are "discussing" high fructose, or corn syrup, in a kid's drink? One woman objects, the other asks her "why??" The first woman is put on the spot, trying to come up with reasons for not using that particular drink. Makes me wonder if the same approach might not work with your "fool" commentor! Ask her "why not use it??" See what she comes up with. Bet you can counter every reason she thinks of!

Also, you're not a fool. How rude of her!
Oh, That is funny. I hope someone tells me that, I sure will ask her back...LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Jade it is probably good exercise and good for circulation in your legs. I used a treadle while working for two old ladies back in high school. It was fun and a good machine.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM

I am sure I posted this somewhere: http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html you can find out what year and model your Grandma's machine is then do a Google or an EBay search for parts.

This site is very useful, and great service: http://sewingonline.co.uk/ :thumbup:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 PM

old jadite mug oops! i lost the first part of my message - better quit typing and get back to sewing
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM

It is much better for any machine to be used rather than just sitting there without any use. The motors in the vintage machines were built to be used for more years than most people would use them. I just bought a vintage machine that was never used since the 60s, the belt is cracking and the machine is stiff. I talked to my repair tech, he can do a tune up for $39, belt will cost $4-6.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Just make friends with your mechanic, and you can't go wrong. I've been sewing for over 40 years - the last 20 on a vintage machine my aunt gave me for my high school graduation.

She has gone through 3 machines in the interim, and I am still happily sewing on my vintage machine. Needless to say, she would love to get the old machine back! Other than replacing the electrical wiring on the plug in and an occasional tuneup, the machine still sews a dream - both for piecing, quilting, and personal sewing.

Enjoy the machine and don't take any criticism to heart! You have a LOT of company in using your older machine.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Before we got into restoring machines I may not have understood, however, the romance with older machines is a great one. They not only are precision quality, they are durable etc. Look at the post of Vintage machine charm to see what I mean.