Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meeting with other quilters >

Meeting with other quilters

Meeting with other quilters

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

I live in Surprise AZ in the NW Phoenix metro area. You would think I could find a group but I haven't found one yet. The guild that I know about just has too many members (I do not like crowds when I go by myself)plus it is a bit far to drive for me. But I will not give up because when I had groups in other areas we lived in it was great. Some we worked on our own and some it was joint projects. I miss the sharing of friendship.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 AM

5 of us meet once a fortnight in each others homes. We meet from 7pm untill 10p.m. At 8pm we have tea and cakes. We work on Project Linus quilts and on our own quilts. We also knit and talk a lot. We put £1 a week into a kitty and twice a year we go out for a meal.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
I have noticed that several members who want to meet with others have their location 'in hiding.' It would be helpful for others to find you if you put in your state. Just a thought.
I agree with Stephanie. A location would be helpful
in seeing if there is anyone in your (or my) area
so we could possibly meet :).
Have a Great Day!
Marcia in Crowley, TX
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 AM

I get together with my sister, her DIL, & another young lady. We meet 2 times, 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month. What we do is pick a quilt pattern and we each choose the materials we want to use. We try to stay on the same page so that everyones project is basically finished at the same time. Last year I believe we finished about 5 quilts each. At the beginning we did brunch but that just got in the way of our projects. The group, all except for me had never quilted before. What is nice is the group survived its first year and we are meeting again this year. I hope this gave you some idea as to what you can do in a group.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM

If anyone is interested in joining my little group they
are welcome. We meet once a month at a local school (during
school year).
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Haven't met anyone here that I talk to on a personal level but there are 8 of us that have a retreat 4 times a year and if there's a cancellation at the lodge we do more. We also meet once a month on a Sat. at another place and sew all day. We sometimes have lunch, not necessarily all of us, sometimes we go on a shophop. We are always doing something. We moved to where we are now from another place we had lived for 19 years. City to the country. I have never had so many friends until I started quilting about 6 years ago. I love it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Olga,quilt's
I just started going to our local Senior Center,
because I have not had any luck meeting other quilters.
I should get a tee shirt that says, Quilter here !
But I talk shop with anybody that will listen for a few minutes in passing, I know they are out their.
I belong to a Stitchery group that meets at the Senior Center. They let us have a room once a month for free. We meet from 10-2pm and have lunch there, as well. We do all kinds of hand work from cross stitch, to knitting, to quilting, to embroidery. We only have 8-10 gals show up. but it is fun. One of us brings snacks and the center brings us coffee, for a mid morning break. Jan
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 AM

There is a quilting group in the next town that meets at 4:00am once a month. They all work so that was the only time to get together. I really wanted to join but they said they were full.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
I have noticed that several members who want to meet with others have their location 'in hiding.' It would be helpful for others to find you if you put in your state. Just a thought.
DITTO!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM

We have a group of cousins, sister in laws and sisters and a couple of friends that have been getting together for about 15 years once a week, we go to a different persons house every week, over the years we have gone to Paducah, had Christmas parties, birthday parties, quilted, had garage salesl, gone to movies, raised money for different causes. It is such a good feeling to have so many sisters in quilting. We call it Tuesday Nite Stitch N Bitch