Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you babysit your grandchildren? >

Do you babysit your grandchildren?

Do you babysit your grandchildren?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 PM

I watched my granddaughter (8 - 10 hrs, 5 -6 days weekly) starting when she was 6 weeks old until she was between 2 & 3. Then it went down to 2 or 3 days weekly. Then when she started school I got her off to school & then picked her up afterward. Now she's in 7th grade and of course I'm no longer the babysitter, but if she has a sick day or needs to be picked up at school I'm the one that's called. I love her to pieces, but sometimes it did start to feel like a job. Although, I'm glad that I did it.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 PM

No :cry: I live in Washington and she lives in Texas. I'm jealous of her grandmother who lives 30 minutes away and gets to spend so much more time with her. They are totally exhausting and over-the-top wonderful! Enjoy this wonderful time you have with her...it is so short!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 PM

I have been reading all these post all day about babysitting your grand children...all I can say is if you pass up this oportunity, you don't know what you are missing and I feel sorry for you. You are creating memorys that are life long, even after you are gone. Do you want your grand children some day to say well, my grandma was busy quilting, so I didn't see her to often. Shame on you!!!! Go for it, I gurantee you, you wont miss quilting, once you are involved with them. Start creating those memory's.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM

We have 13 grandchildren that all live away and we only saw them in the summer when they were here. I was a teacher, so that was the best time for them to visit, when we were all out of school. Two and a half years ago our youngest daughter adopted the most wonderful baby girl. She and I had a quilting business, but it really didn't give her the time or quite the income she needed. We decided she should go back to nursing and we would take care of the baby. Never a regret. I dont get as much quilting or embroidering done as before, but who cares! We are enjoying being with her so much. She learns fast and is the most fun person to be around we know. How many two year olds can "drive" a Pfaff CV? I have one that can. Since she was about 15 months old she sat on my lap, pushed go, stop, and cut. She lives to go to the barn and feed the horses and kitties. We can't mix grain without her. She plays with the dogs. We go on long science and nature walks down and old road that runs along our property, gather acorns, pinecones, leaves and other great things, and throw stones in the creek. We write, paint, tell stories, have picnics, sometimes in a tent in the living room. Thinking about the day she goes to preschool makes me want to cry. Enjoy every minute. Time goes by too fast.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Rereading my post after it was posted, I see a big change :). My daughter and I had the quilt business, not baby and I. Been out of school too long. :)
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM

I have custody of them. all 4 ages 7,5,3,16 months
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Our first granddaughter and I have a special bond..I took care of her for the first three years of her life, her father died 6 mos before she was born..my daughter and the baby lived with us for these first three years,it was a privledge to keep her..I am very blessed to have all three of my Grand Daughters within 30 minutes of my home...I now keep one 4 yr Granddaughter two days a week..and that is just perfect..she gets the time with children her age at day care and I get two wonderful days with her. When we were raising our family, both of us had to work and we missed alot with our kids, I'm making up for lost time. They grow too fast, there will be time to quilt when I am not the special person in their life.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM

I baby sat for my first three grands occasionally because their mothers did not work. For my last two, I quit my job and took care of them from the shortly after they were born. Their Mother is a Realtor and has sporadic hours. I loved every minute of it, didn't get much done because I napped when they did, rocked are played with them when they were awake. They are 6yrs (boy) and 7 years (girl) now and go to school from 8-3, and I miss them alot. I still get them some but not enough to suit me.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM

yes i watch my Gk's and love every second of it . But im always so happy when mama comes to get them :) I sew on weekends and at night
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM

I quit work to babysit for grandbaby #2, three days a week - waited 15 long years between grandbaby #1 and #2! After committing to watch the new granddaughter to be, my other daughter announced SHE was pregnant too! Watched both, 3 days a week, one 3 months old and one 5 months old. (Got a little crazy "occasionally"!) After a year and a half, I cut it to two days a week. Now I babysit from 8am til 5:00pm or 6:00pm and I love it, but the days are a little too long. I am also an hour away, so also two hours driving each day. They are now almost five (HOW did that happen?!) and will both be in full time kindergarten in the fall. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed but am happy I am doing it and being such a big part of their lives. The hugs, kisses and giggles are soooo worth all the frustration!! Grandbaby #4 got here last week!
I will take care of him on the same days, not sure how we will work it out in the fall! They grow up TOO fast . . . !! Treasure the moments!!