Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to make the best of it... >

How to make the best of it...

How to make the best of it...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by trif
How about the garage to set up as a craft area just so yoU can still do your crafts, if it's to cold or not an option I would take over a corner of the living room if you don't want to use the attic space. I would take over the attic if you can and I mean the whole attic, what an awesome quilting craft area you can create. Good luck to your family.
That dog in your avatar looks like part bear!!!! OMG!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

sorry. imo, your son is more important than a hobby. that's imo only. i'm sure he doesn't want to be there either.

for the time being, can you put a wall heater in the attic for the cold weather and then a window ac in the summer. it's a huge inconvenience, i know, but not as bad as moving back home is for him. there goes any adult privacy he ever had.

whatever you do, that's what he'll remember you did. sleeping on the couch like a visitor is not an option. when times are tough, he should feel like he can come to you for help.

EDIT: if you ever need his help, would you like to sleep on the couch?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks to all for your wonderful ideas and input! I hope this move will be temporary, but I also feel as if he should have his room back. He is my son and I want to show him that love and help in need is what families do. Also, I told him that I would help him as long as he stayed on the 'good path'; he has been on a not so good path before. He really is trying hard, and as one of you said coming back to mom's is hard on him as well.

As for the attic, the two rooms upstairs are already an expansion space in the walk in attic and the rest of the attic is being used for assorted stuff; including my home staging stuff and items for my DH's company. Plus, we live in Southwest TN and the weather here is not good for spaces with no heat or A/C. But my DH has talked about helping me enclose a small space for a "craft closet" with LOTS of shelves. I'll let you know if that comes to pass!!!

Soooooo, guess I am back to consolidating my stuff and possibly sharing space in his room for a while. Do you think plastic bins and baskets provide the best storage??
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Originally Posted by Pommom
Originally Posted by sewwhat85
so sorry hope things turn for the better with your son
Thank you! And I saw the pictures of your beautiful sewing room. Congratulations! Would love to come drink coffee with you there!
Hey Pommom...where is Bartlett, Tn??
Bartlett is "attached" to Memphis. We are a separate city to the northeast. AND we have snow predicted for this weekend!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM

So sorry to hear your son is in need. I recently had to say no to my step-son.....His house was forclosed on. After I gave him $$$ to prevent this, I just had to say no. I feel your position. Just hang in there!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Times are hard.. It's wonderful that you can have your son back home for a time. I had my son and DIL move in with us during the last big recession, they took over my sewing room too.. I moved most of my stuff to plasic bins, removed an end table and used a small sewing machine in a tiny cabinet there.. cut on top of my dresser, and pushed the threads and stings into a top drawer I had emptied. I kept things under the bed, under the couch, stacked behind most everything. It was inconvenient, but I didn't want my kids living on the street. One was in college and the other finally (finally) got a job as a night watchman at a trucking company.. It was hard on them, hard on us, but it was what was right. Sometimes being without a job isn't because they are not trying, it just happens. Now that they have finally moved out and have lived in their own home for several years I realize that it was a great time. I lived out in front of them one of the most important things in this life.. taking care of each other. I have my sewing area back, I can do whatever I wish, so it was not that big of a sacrifice. They are so much more important than having my sewing room just the way I want it!

Just remember, all things pass in time.. this is just for a season. Be gracious, who knows, you may need to live with him before it's all over and done with.
Thank you for sharing your experience and for your beautiful comments. I feel better just thinking about the situation this way.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Times are rough right now. Several in my family have lost jobs and are doing the best they can. Welcoming him back into a home is what he needs right now and that's what families do. I might make him share his closet a little for storage but we can all sew on a table and stack things a little higher to help someone else. I wish you and your son the best.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Go to Walmart of K-mart and buy a cheap wardrobe for your son to use. You keep the closet, he gets the wardrobe. And he gets the message that this is a temporary thing for him.

I hope he recovers from the financial problems quickly.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM

It's hard to agree with almost everyone but I do. Times are hard everywhere and families really do need to pull together and support each other, but at the same time, rearranging your life and household doesn't seem quite right either. My daughter moved into our RV, but our house is too small for her to move in with us. Not sure how many rooms you have but I'd go with the dining room for my sewing room and eat in the kitchen or living room. That's where we end up most of the time anyway. Good luck and God bless you all as you work through this.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Id have him go for the couch for it wouldn't be making him so comfortable as to want to stay a long time. Maybe he can bunk with a friend.