Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Ring Quilt >

Wedding Ring Quilt

Wedding Ring Quilt

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by labtechkty
Hello, my son is getting married Feb,2012 and I would like to make a Wedding Ring Quilt for them...as I am a novice quilter (and know that this quilt is for advanced quilters) I would like the easiest way to go about making one. Anyone have any suggestions?
I would suggest buying one. I'm not a novice and I've been working on one for about four years.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
http://Clotilde.com has wedding ring templates for sale. I have not used them but they look like they would work. I have a box of pieces my mother cut, but I'm waiting till I'm more experienced at swearing...just kidding, LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mousie I didn't know that took a lot of experience, just a lot of listening to others who seem to be professionals at swearing. lol
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM

Cheryl Phillips has a book called "The Rings that Bind". It is a simple way to make a faux wedding ring quilt by placing a semi - circular template over strip-pieced or striped material. It is a very simple, effective method.Perhaps that could solve your dilemma?

http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 PM

I used this some years ago. It was very helpful.
Originally Posted by merry
I bought a great kit for the Double Wedding Ring by Sharlene Jorgensen that has a book of step by step directions & includes 8 acrylic templates. It even has yardage charts & supply lists for different sizes. I bought it at JoAnne's.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 PM

Look at the videos on Quilt in a Day for Egg Money Quilts. She shows the double wedding ring block. Her method makes it look doable.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Cheryl Phillips has a book called "The Rings that Bind". It is a simple way to make a faux wedding ring quilt by placing a semi - circular template over strip-pieced or striped material. It is a very simple, effective method.Perhaps that could solve your dilemma?

http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/
i just ordered the arc templates. both the small and the large. they are on sale here for 1/2 price. i cant wait till they get here. i am so psyched!!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
They say that the wedding ring quilt is for advanced quilters. Don't believe them. I have only been quilting for a couple of years and the VERY VERY FIRST quilt I made was a double wedding ring quilt. I found it easy to make but it got very boring to me. But I made a good dozen of them. And won't make anymore of them. They are just too boring to me and I don't know why. Good luck on your venture if you make one. Your son will just love it. :) I did NOT have a plastic template. I found the pattern in a magazine and I copied the page and made a template out of a manila folder. :)
The double wedding ring was the first one I made also.The hardest part is hand-cutting all the quilt pieces out.It's really that easy to make.Just take your time and pin around the curve.I can't keep one to show.They sell as soon as I finish them,sometimes before I finish them.They have a reputation for being a hard quilt to make but they are really easy.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 AM

I was lucky enough to take a Double Wedding Ring Class from John Flynn a few years ago. I was amazed at how easy it was and one of the quilts I liked the most is my avatar made with baitks. Flynn has a system where you sew your little pieces on an angle rather than cut them on the angle. Works very well for me at least. I have the Sharlene Jorgensen templates but haven't tried hers yet. Good luck with your quilt and post a pic when you're done!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 AM

I made one for my daughter who got married May 1st. I backed it with plain white squares. I gave it to her at a shower and after opening it, we had guest write messages in the white squares with fabric markers. She LOVED it and especially the messages!

Quilt back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155927[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-155922.jpe
Views:	38
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	155927  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
My only suggestion is to find someone who has an AccuQuilt and the Double Wedding Ring die. It has all of the notches on the curved pieces that need to match up. The first step is getting it cut out very accurately. If I recall correctly you can make one without all of the pieces in the rings, just one piece...and that's about all I know!
I have an Accuquilt Studio machine! I have both options for the DWR (small squares or large arc). If you send me the fabric, I only charge 10 cents/piece. I also have many other patterns, if decide you want something easier and/or quicker!

My new website is undergoing construction--but here is a link to my old one:

http://www.customquiltkits.com

Good luck no matter what method you choose!

Rose Hall