Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am new and have a question. >

I am new and have a question.

I am new and have a question.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 AM

I'm only 5'1 and alwasy have an aching back if I cut for a long time. I cut in sections, if I know I can cut two colors and sew them together I do that. I know sounds funny, I am just learning trying to get my stamp on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Jan 8, 2011

Here is another idea for all the creative quilters and sewing hobby people who want to cut fabric comfortably:

Today is the last day for Staples Office Supply Store ad for a 4 foot rectangular table, called a white utility table that has its metal legs fold in towards the center (its a solid table, doesn't fold in the middle like some of them). This table is currently on sale for only 29.99. Its normally 60.00, so its 1/2 price ending Sat Jan 8. I may go and get 1 or 2. One for a cutting table and maybe even one for a separate planning or reading table. Its wider than an ironing board and is a full 4 foot long.

Put your rotary cutting board under your fabric, or put 2 together, as I have 2 of the size 18" X 24", or get yourself a larger rotary cutting board which is 24" X 36" with one of JoAnne's 40% off coupons. I think Michaels also sells rotary cutting boards, they have their coupons on their website...then get ready for your next quilt creation.
Hope my suggestion helps out. from, Debbie
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 AM

I use my kitchen counters for cutting. They seem to work for me as I am 5'9" and the table was also just killing my back!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM

I use the top of my washing machine. It seems to be exactly the right height for me.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 AM

Hello from Western Maryland !!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 AM

Click on search at the very top of the page and then type in cutting table, you will find a lot of ideas, especially the thread below, hope it helps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-58720-1.htm

I am not trying to discourage this discussion but I thought all the other info might help.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by OhSewJoyful
Ok. I just finished some cutting on the kitchen counter-top and think that is going to do it for me. It's a great height. If I see I can do this quilting thing I will eventually get my husband to build me some sort of table. THANKS!
I recently bought a white plastic folding table at Sam's club but I've seen it offered at WalMart and other stores also. It is 24x48" and it adjusts to 3 diff heights, one is standing height. It only cost $33 and can be stored away easily. It also can be used for a kid's table and regular dining height table. I love it!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 AM

I have bad knees so cannot stand to cut so I cut at the table sitting down. I had trouble at first if I used a long broad ruler holding it so now use the 3 inch by 12 inch and cut across the width of fabric folded in fourths practise has made this work for me when cutting templates I cut in strips to cover the needed mat. for the template and can turn it on the mat to reach well while sitting. We all have to learn to work around our discomforts and aches and pains but you can find a way that works for you. My sister cut at her kitchen cabinet also my daoughter has a standard cutting table that is great for her height and ease in cutting standing so anything that works is allowed. Good Cutting
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM

I am vertically challenged also. I have a 2x4 table from Sams that is adjustable. I just put it on the 3 highest height and I can cut fine. Using your kitchen counter is a good idea. It should be about 34 inches which may work very well for you. If you are going to be cutting for a long time be sure to strech the long muscles.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I use my kitchen counter. It is quite a bit higher than the kitchen table and works very well.