behavior problem question

Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Sorry your got flack for "guiding" him in the right direction. Surely those who criticized you do not condone what he did! However, their attitude at what you did may be why he did such a thing and the reason he may continue to act up like that.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 AM

My grand daughter age 3 was playing with toys and threw one hard one at the baby sister that was on my lap. The toy hit her head and I spoke sharply to her about the fact that she might hurt her little sister with that kind of play.
She stood there for a minute with her finger in her mouth like she was thinking about it. Then suddenly she straighten up her little sholders and marched into the dinning room and stood facing the corner for about 2 minutes. then she came back and kissed her sister head and was all smiles.Recently,Mom and dad had started the time out corner for deeds that were not nice. I was amazed that at that age she was able to deduct that that action was a time out event. She really is a fast study,that girl.!!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 AM

No, it was the right consequence for his behavior!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM

This was a wonderful teachable moment about actions having consequences. Parenting is not always easy and it is not an exact science and lots of people disagree about how to handle situations. By letting your grandchild know in a calm way that this was unacceptable behavior and how he had to correct it he will be learning a good lesson from you about love and limits and respect for people and property. And although some family members did not agree with you they might look back and thank you later in life. Hopefully the child did not hear the disagreements between you and the other family members about how this situation was handled as this might be confusing to him. In the end the child may not have liked the consequences but in my opinion it was a valuable lesson to learn. I'm wondering how the parents would have handled it?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I think his parents should have done just as
Originally Posted by littlehud
It sounds like what I would have done. I see no problem.
I think his parents should have done as you did. Their responsibility to teach him the golden rule. You did the right thing.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 AM

I agree with all answers, Great job Grandma.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I think what you did was fine...too many kids don't learn that they have to take responsibility for their actions. Don't know what the flack was about from the family, but if the parents weren't going to hold him accountable you did the right thing.
Amen! You did right!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Kudos to you for teaching him a great lesson about consequences! :)
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

You are to be commended for being bold enough to exhibit tough love. This will teach your grandchild responsibilty, repentence, selflessness when it comes to others. You are doing him and society a favor becasue if he did this to a family member, what would he do to an outsider? Anger is one letter away from d-a-n-g-e-r. Be steadfast in teaching the right values.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
I think you were lenient - I would have taken him & his piggy bank to the store, have him find the cost of the item & buy it for his brother. If his bank didn't have enough, then I'd have him then 'work' to earn the difference.

Kids need consequences that fit their actions - like the sign in some stores: 'if you break it, you buy it!'
I agree. If the oldest GS does this to younger bro he has to settle it to the younger (and parents) realistic requirements. Better to learn now rather than later.