Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use your serger? >

How do you use your serger?

How do you use your serger?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 AM

I too, use my serger for sewing fleece p.j.'s, and baby wrappers, receiving blankets etc. Never tried quilting with it. But I love it for my sewing of clothes for little ones.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Yes, I leave one serger always set up and ready to go with white thread. I really need to get my old one out and set it up to with a diffrent color of thread. I orginally bought mine because I always hemmed my dh bluejeans.He is so short legged. I got tired of fighting the raveling and bulk and said to him one day " if you want me to continue to hem yr jeans, then I am buying a serger". Makes it easier by far to hem and reduces bulk. I just can't imagine not having one!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM

I've always used my serger on making clothes, but this past year I put together a quilt using the serger. I used flannel - just blocks of different sizes, joined a bunch, cut them in sections, joined in different places, and it didn't take long to sew at all. I've never used mine on a cotton quilt top - I'm afraid I'd mess up the seam allowance and screw up the whole thing!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM

There is soooooo much a person can do with a serger that I bet 90% of the people don't use, myself included. I am trying to learn more. So if I can learn anything here, it is a plus!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Probably the best I've ever heard about the perspective on sergers is that "a serger is like the microwave of sewing machines." Just like your micro, you haven't put your regular oven out of commission; they get used for different purposes.

Personally, I don't like a visible serged seam, just looks a bit unfinished or hurried-up to me, but they are invaluable for all manner of straight seams, regular hemming, and rolled-edge hemming of finer fabrics. Log cabin blocks, strips and the like are done lightening fast!

I do quilting as well as household and apparel sewing. I thought for the longest time that I did not need a serger, but now that I have one, I wish only that I had got it years ago. I immediately forced myself to thoroughly learn how to thread and re-thread it. I purposely changed colors and did it over and over. Threading is no longer an anxiety for me any more than changing thread on my regular machines. (I have a Brother 1326.)

Just avail yourself of a lot of online freebie info for sergers and possibly invest in one book that's heavy on instruction and light on patterns. Items that are entirely serger constructed are IMO not quite up to snuff. Quite the same as that very few meals are which are prepared entirely with the microwave (start to finish; not warmed over).

I'd heartily recommend having a serger.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM

I use serger all the time. It sits beside my sewing machine and shares the work on most projects. I finish off the edges of my quilts with the serger before adding the binding - it also works wonderfully for "sew as you go"quilts -it does all the work on those - and of course for sewing clothes, table linens, decorative items etc. - besides my sewing machine, it is my favorite item

DeeDee
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

My hubby got me a Brother 4 spool serger through Wal-Mart and on-line and I have totally fallen in love with it. I also have the SE350 (older version and a Brother brand) of an embroidery sewing machine, and love it equally. I forsee being able to make lots of unique gifts by combining the use, such as monogramed towels, dishcloths, napkins, plus I have several great grands I sew for, and love the polished look for the seams. The serger and sewer were both under $200 each at the time of purchase, and I feel blessed to own them. I'd buy them all over again in a heartbeat. I'M IN LOVE!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM

I do alterations and use my serger all the time for hems. I have a Toyota brand serger that I have had for 25 years. I recently got a new Singer but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I have a friend that made a jelly roll quilt with her serger and it turned out great. I think I'll try that soon.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM

I do not use it much. It is so hard to thread, that I never change colors.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 AM

love my serger Brother 5234. Easy to thread, make lots of dolls and need it for those little hems. Also make alot of purses and use it to join batting and fabric together, and I love the neat tidy seams. Also use it for heming pants etc. no more hem tape.