Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am new and have a question. >

I am new and have a question.

I am new and have a question.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM

I just got a new sewing cabinet that has room to cut. Before that I used my kitchen counters. The dining table was just too low. My counters were small, but the height was great for the back.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Oh ouch! yes, indeed cutting on an eating table is much too low.. You'll give up before you even get started because your back will feel like it's killing you! If I have to cut on something other than my cutting table in the basement (36" high) I cut on my kitchen counter which is also a standard 36".... I've also cut on top of my dresser in the bedroom, but I can only use my smaller mat on it, still it works better than the table. I tried the ironing board, but it is not stable enough.. the top of a clothes dryer will also work.. sometimes that's handy..

Welcome to the board, you'll find the best group of people around right here.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
If that is the only place you have to cut, I would recommend getting some bed risers and it will at least raise your table another 5 to 8 inches by putting under the legs of the table , if that is possible..
This is what I do,they work great.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Use a higher surface, such as a low cupboard if you can't afford a cutting table - it makes a big difference. You could lengthen the legs of a designated table for the purpose.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM

You know the fold up tables that KMart and Target sell, I have one of those. It has adjustable legs, the legs fold in, the table folds in half and has a handle, it was about $36.00. Before I got my sewing room, I used to travel around the house with my table working where I could find space and quiet. I think its about 6ft long. On the highest leg setting it stands I believe 36inches or more. I have 2 of those tables in my sewing room, 1 with my cutting board on it and the other with my sewing machine on it with the legs on a lower setting.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:06 PM

If you have the space on your kitchen counter it is better than leaning over the table, it will kill your back. I have a cutting table but I didn't get one for sereral years after I started quilting. I watched JoAnn's and got one on sale, they fold down on the side so if you are limited on space you could fold it up
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by OhSewJoyful
I am brand new to "trying" to quilt and have been cutting fabric on a cutting mat on my kitchen table and I have to take frequent breaks because leaning over so much is a little hard on the back. How do others cut without this problem? Taller cutting area maybe?
For an inexpensive solution, I use a large coffee cans upside down under each leg of the table. Really makes a difference and cost me nothing. I am not a coffee drinker but my husband is so I just saved the cans. I knew I could use them for something.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

My husband built a table for me with legs that screw up or down, so I can adjust to the right height I need. The table is 24X36 exact size of my cutting borad. I hope this helps and is real easy to amke and very inexpensive too. nanasue
Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 PM

I use my kitchen island...it's just the right height...and encourages me to clear it off and declutter.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by OhSewJoyful
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definately try some of them. I kinda figured since I am only 5' 1" the kitchen table would work, but found out different.
You can purchase the risers for less than $20 at Bed, Bath & Beyond (or perhaps Target, or online). It is worth the investment. After measuring the height of the risers and adding that to your table, if that would make it too tall for you, using the PVC pipe would be an option - that could be cut to any size you need to make the table perfect for you (if the PVC will fit on the legs of your table). The PVC can be purchased at OSH, Home Depot, Lowe's or any home improvement store in your area (you will also need end caps).