Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show? >

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM

I went two years ago with friends. We drove down for the day and drove back late that night. It was really something to see since I was new to quilting at that time. Hancocks in Paducah is a must stop and see also. There are aisles and aisles and aisles of quilts. One prettier than the next.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM

I went to Paducah back in 2006 with my mom. I don't know if you can buy the same things on line, I'm sure you can, but we had a great time. A vacation with everything centered around quilting, you can't beat that. And if you never been to Hancocks of Paducah, that alone would be worth the trip. Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Sorry, posted twice.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 PM

My friend and I have visited Paducah twice but not during the quilt show. We love the museum and shopping at Hancocks, lots of fbric but not many bargains. Next year when my friend retires we are going to come the the show.

Live near Houston and had a good friend that owned a LQS and went with her several times in the early 1990's and didn't go back until two years ago. It has gotten so big, it is overwhelming. The quilts are amazing. The reason I went this year is to buy Alto's Quilt Cutting System and check out some other things (also I rode our Guild bus) we went on preview night when it was not as crowded. I try not to buy anything I can get at a LQS.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Have not been to Paducah (will get there one of these years) but have been to Houston. All I can say is that it's Disneyland for adults!!!! I loved every minute and 3 days didn't seem quite long enough. There is no way photos can capture the experience of being there. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. BTW, did the person who said pictures were better ever really attend herself? Wonder what her motive was?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 PM

I have been several times but must admit I saw more, less crowded and better spread out.. at the Des Moines IA show in October than I did any of the four years I went to Paducah. Check it out.. It was a blast... great classes and again.. better spread out so seemed less crowded than Kentucky.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM

It is the ultimate high for a quilter.. vendors, vendors, vendors... fabric everywhere. Save your money and go. Most of the stores downtown have some kind of quilt displayed in their windows and there is to much to do. Eleanor Burns has a store there. The Rotary Club has a building with quilts and vendors. and the convention center is loaded. You can take classes from some great teachers, I think you have to join AQS in order to take classes ,not sure about that and it is $25 a year. There are lots of shops and vendors down town and Grand Rivers a town close by has a quilt show that week also.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM

I am going this year too. Some quilting friends have planned a bus trip.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
I plan on going this year but someone told me that I can see the same fabric online and close up better than being at the show. Any comments?
I went twice for four days each time and it was great. The Quilt museum is great and so is Handcock's of Paducah. My mother and I took several great classes there. Have a great time.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM

My hubby and I plan on going from NY State and could use some motel info.
Thanks,
Bonnie