Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Kim's Sunny Purple New Sew Room >

Kim's Sunny Purple New Sew Room

Kim's Sunny Purple New Sew Room

Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Wow! I like the colours. My room is periwinkle blue - very calming for me. I have a wooden shelf exactly like the one in the first two pictures. My grandfather made it decades ago.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 PM

I really like the purple color inside the room, set against the greenery outside the windows. Very attractive pairing of colors: purple and green. Did you plan it that way, or just a lucky coincidence?

Holly
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM

what a happy, happy room. I like it lots!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by skillon
I really like the purple color inside the room, set against the greenery outside the windows. Very attractive pairing of colors: purple and green. Did you plan it that way, or just a lucky coincidence?

Holly
Planned.... lol. You are VERY observant. Right outside the south window, is an enormous Poinciana tree. When it's in bloom, the whole tree is covered in bright RED flowers. I love vibrancy... there's something so energizing about combining red and purple - I get TONS of things ...well... started! during bloom time. Then I have all year to finish up the WIPs!!!! lol!

Poinciana blooms, from the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155924[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-155919.jpe
Views:	48
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	155924  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 AM

I love your soft lavendar walls! What a great room, enjoy!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
May I ask which kind of paint fades? I'd like to try that!
Ah... well, most paints will fade or change color when exposed to sun. The colors that tend to fade the most, are red and purple. Yellow will change color slightly....

The change happens so slowly, and so evenly that you won't notice it... unless... you do a house renovation like us and have to re-build a wall. When I put the same color paint on the newly redone wall... it didn't match the rest of the walls! So I ended up repainting the entire room. Our yellow office (a pale yellow) ended up with an orange tint to it. My sewing room ended up a purple tinted gray - which was quite pleasing actually. The bedroom, painted in lite blue... didn't change at ALL. Not so much sun in there.

Most folks notice the fading on cars... particularly red cars tend to fade and oxidize.

I don't know about cheap paints... or the paints from places like Ace, Home Depot or Lowes. We used/use top of the line Colorwheel paints. I believe that's why the fading happened so evenly... not blotchy like I've seen other places. Even behind pictures, it was nice.

The overall effect is steller. If you're interested in the same idea, I'd suggest asking some of your local paint specialty stores - those folks have a better handle on what their paints will or will not do. But yeah, in general... all paint does fade over time and in strong consistant sunlight.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 AM

What a colorful and fun room!

I was curious about the symbolism of the color Purple and found this:

"Purple is a favorite of creative people. Whether wearing it, living in it, or creating with it, purple is a color for the adventurous heart with spiritual leanings and a flair for drama. This is the heart that knows the magic of purple."

Captures it perfectly!

:-)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Wow that is a girly sewing/quilting room. I like the idea of the closet hanger for the material.. I will have to look into something like that for myself. I really do like the unique room.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Annz
Wow that is a girly sewing/quilting room. I like the idea of the closet hanger for the material.. I will have to look into something like that for myself. I really do like the unique room.
The funny thing is that I'm NOT a girly girl. Not at all. I'm a musician/vocalist and my side hobby is blacksmithing. lol. I got into quilting by 'accident'.

Oh... that closet hanger thing... check your local thrift stores. DH found that in a Goodwill thrift store for a couple bucks. We took the shoe holders off of it, leaving the horizontal rods.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Lowe's and Home Depot carry top brands, such as Behr. I have actually gone to Walmart sometimes and had them match a sample from elsewhere with great results. Walmart brand is actually Sherwin Williams. But you should have no problem unless you want to spend top dollar for paint such as Benjamin Moore, Olympic, I have only had one room fade somewhat because it has one wall of window and gets the morning sun. Some colors no matter what brand will fade over time. Besides paint is inexpensive and easily replaced when you compare it to other decorating ideas. And you don't use a professional painter for big bucks.