Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MisDixie
Here is my "Rose". Wondering if you could tell me about her. Can't get into the cabinet to get to the serial number just now.
From what I can see it is a Singer 127 and it is missing a plate that covers the thread take up lever, but the decals look really nice. The decal pattern is the "Memphis Sphinx" and is the most common decal Singer had during that era. Also being a 127 the earliest it could be is 1913 that was when they went into production.

Looks like a wonderful machine and I would enjoy using it to piece some quilts together!

Billy
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by suzieQ
BILLY CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS 301A WHAT DOES THE A STAND FOR IS IT ADIFFERANT MACHINE THEN 301 MY MACHINE IS A BIEGE COLOR AN HAS A LONG BED IALSO NEED A MANUAL FOR MY 301A THE 301A IS THE I NEED HELP WITH DID I CONFUSE YOU IAM TO OLD FOR THIS STUFF/ THANK YOU SO MUCH SUZIEQ
Okay I dont have a manual for it but the 301A was made in Anderson NC hence the A the 301 was made in NJ.

You can find a manual here or do a search online and one might pop up for it. These were very popular machines and the prices of these will exceed the FW.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Billy
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM

BILLY SINGER.COM THE SITE YOU GAVE ME KEEPS SAYING NO ANSWER WHAT DO I DO NO ANSWER THANKS WHAT DO I DO NOW LOVE SUZIQ LOSTN51
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by MisDixie
Here is my "Rose". Wondering if you could tell me about her. Can't get into the cabinet to get to the serial number just now.
From what I can see it is a Singer 127 and it is missing a plate that covers the thread take up lever, but the decals look really nice. The decal pattern is the "Memphis Sphinx" and is the most common decal Singer had during that era. Also being a 127 the earliest it could be is 1913 that was when they went into production.

Looks like a wonderful machine and I would enjoy using it to piece some quilts together!

Billy
Thanks Billy! Rose has done a lot of stiching in her day. I have had her for 38 years. Mom got her for me when I was a teen, paid $15. for her then. I sewed all my clothing on her till I married and left home. Then her namesake, my Grandmother Rose, used her and peiced many quilts and blocks on her. I have the last quilt Gram made on my bed today. Rose got moved to my brothers farm for several years and got rather neglected. Thats where the plate went missing and some damage was done to the cabinet. A few years ago I had the chance to get us reconnected and did. Shes hosting a big fish tank in the living room right now but not for long. Want Rose back in the sewing room where she belongs.
Dixie
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM

BILLY I TRIED THAT WEB SITE THEY SAID NO ANSWER WHAT NOW HELP SUZIEQ WOULD LOSTN51 KNOW
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

The site is working fine for me. Could it be your internet connection (dial-up?) that is saying no answer?

(Lostn51 and Billy are the same person.)

Originally Posted by suzieQ
BILLY I TRIED THAT WEB SITE THEY SAID NO ANSWER WHAT NOW HELP SUZIEQ WOULD LOSTN51 KNOW
Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well if the good Lords a willing I will own another MOP Singer 12 but this one is a hand crank. Almost all of the decals are still there so it makes for a desirable machine. I have to wait until the snow bows over before I can get it but I think it will be worth the wait!!

I will definitely post photos of it when I have it in my paws.

Billy
I saw a machine (treadle) that has a fiddle base head and just guessing from the pictures I have seen it might be either a Singer 12 or 13 but I was told that it doesn't work. The base was so much heavier than any treadle base I have seen. The head is very small compared to the wheel. From a distance the cabinet looked decent but was told that it was loose. Just curious as to whether a machine like that would be of interest to anyone if it wouldn't work.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
This site is the starting point for looking up serial numbers. All that's available on yours is the year - 1897.

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Billy,

Rather than read through hundreds of posts..I picked up an older singer and finally just got the serial number off her.. she needs work but I was curious how old she might be. 14601109 are her serial numbers I believe..is there a place I can find out the info.? alot of patent numbers too..stopping at Nov 18 1890....

Thanks for any info!
WOW thank you ....... I looked it up and its an 1897.
What a great resource that is !!!!!!!!!! I have bookmarked it . I am keeping my eyes out for more..

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!! I so appreciate the link !!!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrose
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Diamondrose
When I was picking up my Standard treadle I saw a Wheeler & Wilson treadle that caught my eye for a couple reasons. The spool holder is an inverted u shape in the middle of the machine, also the pressed wood detail on the top, which is in great shape considering the age. The warranty from when the machine was originally bought is there and dated 1895.
And it works. No manual though, which I usually like to have to refer to in my old age. Any thoughts pro or con would be greatly appreciated.
Diamondrose, I have two Wheeler & Wilson machines. One is posted on page 419, it is from 1887, and it is an authentic W&W - the other one is posted on page 265. It is a Singer 9W from 1910, which is really a W & W that Singer made after they took over the W&W factory. I love those W&W, but they take a special obsolete needle 127x1 or Boye 18 that you can sometimes find on E-bay-- also, the wheel goes away from instead of towards you. They are great machines! ISMACS or Needlebar have manuals you can download for free.

Nancy
Thanks so much for the information, you have been very helpful. The wheel goes away from me in the new to me Standard so that isn't a problem, it was a little confusing at first after years of just the opposite. As I remember it, the W & W machine itself looks more like the model at the top of page 419 than either of yours. IT has an embossed Wheeler and Wilson seal on it also. Will definitely check out the other sites and see what information I can find on it.
I found out that I can get needles for the W & W locally. It is on my wish list for the time being.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Dunster... thank you !!!! Thank you !!!