Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM

There is only one quilt that I remember, my granny made it from her boys old wool coats, solid black, and a red plaid, she used feed sacks as the backing, and tied it, actually she tied most of it, and then showed me, (I was 7) how to do it and let me finish it. It was the heaviest and warmest thing that I can remember, which we dearly needed, in the winter of 1957, in the hills of Kentucky, my parents were divorced and we lived in a trailer with no furnace. We all (my mother and 2 sisters) slept in one bed and that quilt kept us from freezing, we were all toasty warm under that quilt. It's gone now, but I made 2 replica's of it and gave one to my granny's only daughter,(my father's sister) with the story sewn into the fabric.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
I had a old quilt when I was growing up that was made of old mens suits and had wool on the back. It wasn't pretty it was all browns and black and it was so heavy but boy was it warm. Sure wish I had it now.
--------------------------------------------
My memory is about the same. I slept up in the top room (never heard it called attic) and could look outdoors at the tree next to the window and the hill side nearby. I slept under quilts made from Grandpa's old coats and pants, backed with feed sacks, blanket lining, heavy but warm and comforting to a little girl up there all by herself.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Sitting on the floor by my great grandmother while she hand stitched and cutting pieces for her using scissors and a cardboard pattern. You had to be really careful not to cut the pattern. I thought I was such a big helper!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Although strictly speaking not a quilt, my memories were of down comforters my beloved Grandmother had. Being from "the old country"(the Ukraine) she gathered the goose down herself from the geese she raised to make them. They were marvelous....warm as toast, had a unique sound to them and yet really light as a feather. Seeing as there was no central heat in the house, they were a necessity. The only heat came from the kitchen stove...wonderful memories
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM

I had a Little Dutch Girl (better known as Sunbonnet Sue) quilt on my bed from age 2 until I was too cool to have a quilt that was handmade by my grandmother on my bed. My brother had Little Dutch Boy with a 30's green sashing---my sashing was pale pink----and I always liked his quilt better.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 PM

This is a topic which I really couldn't resist. I have posted, under the Main, the first of a series of articles, which I call "Confessions of a Want-to-be Quilter." The articles were designed for my guild newsletter. They are my real life experiences, filled with nostalgia, humor and tears. Although this has been a long work in progress, many of you encouraged my writing after my saga of the Quilt Police bail question.

Please be frank, tell me it stinks, and I wont post the entire series. As planned now, it'll be a weekly. But you know you can just skip reading it when it comes up, and admin won't post it to the frequently read list. On the other-hand, let me know if you want an autographed hard copy.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Going to grandparents house in the wintertime and sleeping on a feather mattress on the floor and covered in quilts that granny had done she always had a quilt frame hanging from the ceiling.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM

A scrap quilt that was used for baby brother to lie on it was in all shaps and sizes of fabric...I used to look at the fabrics to decide which I liked best....I would have been about 4-5 years old.......when in secondary school I made my first hand sewn crib sized quilt at 14 years old and kept it for all 3 of my daughters
Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

I stayed with my grandmother while my mother was in college. Grandma let me make tents with her kitchen chairs and quilts. I was about 3-4 years old.
When I was eight, I had Rheumatic Fever. At that time, the treatment was bedrest and Penicillin. My mother (who by then was a teacher) stayed home with me. She sat beside me and taught me to quilt. This was her way of keeping me quiet. I still have the first quilt top I ever pieced. Pretty rough, but still special to me. I never got around to quilting it. I've been quilting now for 57 years!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM

I remember a Dutch Doll quilt my Mother made for me when she was "expecting" It was similar to Sunbonnet Sue except the Hats were and shoes were all black and the dolls were sitting down. I loved it to death.