Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by PKITTY1
I remember looking at a scrap quilt one of my grandmothers had made. The squares were tiny and I would find a fabric that I loved and try and see if I could find it elsewhere in the same quilt. I had so much fun doing this when I was five. What about you?
I played this same game when I was about 5-6, back in the 70's. My grandmother, who was 80, had a scrap quilt that I loved to sleep under for that reason. :):)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 PM

I was one of the lucky ones to have been born under a quilting grandma. I have never had a store bought comforter until I married my husband. His Godmother wanted to buy him a very special gift for our wedding, so she bought us the entire bedding set. All we needed to supply was the bed. She had no idea I was a quilters grandchild, until our last gift to open..(that was on purpose to open hers last) was another beautiful quilt from my grandma. All made from the colors of our wedding, and one square in the dead center of it, was a copy of our wedding invitation. The work she had to do, to get that copied to a piece of material 33 years ago?? My mother then embroidered all the details of it. So to this day, I have never had a store bought quilt. I so remember learning as a child how to trace and cut out the pieces needed for her many many quilts. My grandfather had a table sat up in the living room for it. Their living room was so huge, one end was for just quilting, the other for watching T.V. This was all winter long.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Such beautiful stories....

I am the only quilter in my family....lots of talented seamstresses, knitters and embroiderers though. I have very happy memories of sleeping under my Nan's eiderdown. Big warm and filled with feathers with a very intricate sateen cover...we were travellers and it went absolutely everywhere with us.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

I don't remember seeing my mother quilt when I was small. I think with three kids and a huge summer garden she just crocheted a lot because it was something she could lay down and pick up again in a hurry. She must have quilted after we went to bed because we always had quilts on our beds and she made sheets out of flour sacks and picked out matching feed sacks for quilt backs and used the scraps for blocks. One winter her sister, Anna stayed with us and she had me pressing fabrics for a crazy quilt and I got interested. I still have the quilt and it is absolutely the worst workmanship you ever saw, but its still warm and comforting. Years later after the kids were grown my mom made quilts and I have about a dozen of them. I know my sister had some too but she is gone now and I suppose her son got those. I have been making quilts for many years and all my children and grandchildren have quilts that I have made. I think my maternal grandmother made quilts but she and my paternal grandmother had passed away before I was old enough to remember them.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM

When my nana gave me a hand embroidered quilt I think I was 5\or so
Lisa
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM

I remember my Mom getting out the quilts every fall when it turned cold. We didn't have heat up stairs so it took blankets and quilts plus flannel pj's to keep us warm. Every winter when that time came I always said that I got dibs on the navy blue polka dot comforter. I would have fought my brother and sister for that comforter, I loved it so much. It's long gone now. I wish I had just a little piece of it. It was very thick and tied with red yarn.
Good memories!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
SZQ

Playing under the quilt frame as Mom and the neighbor ladies

quilted and visited. Threading needles and watching them

take little bites of the fabric. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM

When I was about 6 years old, I got the German measles. I was so sick for such a very long time. My Grandmother didn't visit us very often, but one afternoon, when my siblings were at school, and I lay on the couch asleep, she came and gently touched my arm. I was laing there so depressed, but when I turned around, she stood there with the biggest card, with a big yellow duck on the front. I opened it up and it said "Dear Alisa, get well soon, Love Grandma." I had never seen a card so big in all my life! when I looked up she was holding a banana, which was a real treat to me back then. She said now lay back down and get some rest." I gave her a hug, laid down and she covered me with a "coat of many colors" as I used to call it. I used and abused that quilt and I still have it to this day. the edges are raveled adn the binding is no more. sometimes I think about fixing it, but then it wouldn't be my grandmothers quilt anymore. There is a twin bed in my sewing room and it lays at the foot neatly folded. Sometimes after a hard day, I just lay on that bed. hold it close, and reminisce.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM

When I was little I would go to my grandma's for "vacation".. I thought it was 'my' vacation, much later I learned it was vacation time for my parents! hahaha..

Anyway, My grandma taught me to do all sorts of different kinds of handwork.. knitting, crocheting, tatting, embroidery, crewel, painting, and quilting. From the time I was very little she would sit with me and we would quilt together.. If the stitches weren't good, she would make me take them out.. but to my knowledge, if she let them stay in she never removed them later.. I have loved handwork but especially quilting all my life thanks to her.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

My mother made me a doll quilt out of 2 inch squares. I still have it. Also, at my grandmother's, she would pile the quilts on the bed until you couldn't turn over. The only heat she had was a coal fireplace and the bedrooms were chilly. So those quilts felt really good! I have a vague memory of a quilt frame suspended from the ceiling.