Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 AM

Have anyone here ever heard of Chautaugua Antique Sewing Machines. I love the antique cabinet it is in, but never heard of this brand before.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I used the Davis for straight-line quilting and to put on the binding. It is just wonderful--no puckers, etc. The needle feed keeps all the layers together and keeps things moving smoothly.
Miz Johnny love the baby quilt! And I remember you telling us you never finish a quilt! I am really excited to try my Davis for the binding once I finish the quilt I am making on my 15-88!

Nancy
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by grammydar
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
My friend, Terri, and I make 'preemie' quilts and donate them to the neonatal unit at Wesley in Wichita. To date we have donated close to 300 of them. The nurses tell us they don't last long because there are so many preemie babies born nowadays. It's a wonderful way to give and a great way to use up scraps or donated fabrics. Sometimes thaat is all that a mother has to take home with her is the quilt that her small one was wrapped in when she got to hold it. Not all the little ones make it home.
Anyway, any neonatal unit loves getting the little quilts so if anybody is yearning for a cause, this is a good one.
What patterns do you use?
I must check our NICU & see what they already get.
Our DD now 25 yr old was there for 13 days.
Been out of town and playing catch up now. I use anything I have, orphan blocks or even make just one big block into a quilt. Sometimes I just sew strips together and make the top that way. Have no rhyme or reason, just put stuff together and they always turn out nice and are appreciated and such fun to make. I may have some pics somewhere on my harddrive, I'll try to locate and post, if you want.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

I used the Davis for straight-line quilting and to put on the binding. It is just wonderful--no puckers, etc. The needle feed keeps all the layers together and keeps things moving smoothly.
Wow, you guys I have been talking to a guy in VA that I purchased some needles for the Davis from. His name is Bill. Billy do you know this guy? He uses bgrewe224u for his e-bay account.

Anyway, he is very interesting. He sold me some Boye #20 needles for the Davis Vertical Feed. When I told him I needed Boye #10, he explained that the early Davis Vertical Feed that used the boat type shuttle used the Boye #20. He said the Davis machines with the bullet shuttle were from about 1895-1910, then the Davis VF machines with serial numbers that were over 2 million or so use regular 15x1 needles.

This started a conversation because my Davis VF2 has a serial number of 610833, and the last patent date on the machine is 1885. Since the patent dates are changing every year or so -- mine has Oct, 1881, Nov 1881, Jan 1883, then May 1885; I figured my Davis had to be about 1886 -1890 at most.

Bill says my machine with the 600k serial number puts my VF2 on the cusp of the change-over from the boat shuttle to the bullet shuttle. He said my machine is also at the end of the VF2 production line, he thinks my machine was the change-over to the bullet shuttle.

Anyway, this all makes sense except one of your machines - Randa is it yours, has a patent date of 1886? That would mean my machine has to be 1885 or it would also say 1886 if there was a later than 1885 patent date? In other wards, if my machine is 1895 that would mean there would be no more patent dates between my 1885 date and 1895? Isn't that right?

Billy, Miz Johnny, anyone else see what I am saying?

Nancy
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow, you guys I have been talking to a guy in VA that I purchased some needles for the Davis from. His name is Bill. Billy do you know this guy? He uses bgrewe224u for his e-bay account.

Anyway, he is very interesting. He sold me some Boye #20 needles for the Davis Vertical Feed. When I told him I needed Boye #10, he explained that the early Davis Vertical Feed that used the boat type shuttle used the Boye #20. He said the Davis machines with the bullet shuttle were from about 1895-1910, then the Davis VF machines with serial numbers that were over 2 million or so use regular 15x1 needles.

This started a conversation because my Davis VF2 has a serial number of 610833, and the last patent date on the machine is 1885. Since the patent dates are changing every year or so -- mine has Oct, 1881, Nov 1881, Jan 1883, then May 1885; I figured my Davis had to be about 1886 -1890 at most.

Bill says my machine with the 600k serial number puts my VF2 on the cusp of the change-over from the boat shuttle to the bullet shuttle. He said my machine is also at the end of the VF2 production line, he thinks my machine was the change-over to the bullet shuttle.

Anyway, this all makes sense except one of your machines - Randa is it yours, has a patent date of 1886? That would mean my machine has to be 1885 or it would also say 1886 if there was a later than 1885 patent date? In other wards, if my machine is 1895 that would mean there would be no more patent dates between my 1885 date and 1895? Isn't that right?

Nancy
Nancy,
I bought a machine from Bill. He's good people! He restored and painted a 1905 New Home vibrating shuttle machine. I bought it last year, it sews well too.
Sharon W.

repainted New Home treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157961[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-157956.jpe
Views:	90
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	157961  
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy,
I bought a machine from Bill. He's good people! He restored and painted a 1905 New Home vibrating shuttle machine. I bought it last year, it sews well too.
Sharon W.
Wow, I knew when I saw this machine that it had to be a purplefiend machine! Very pretty! I bet it really looks good in the house and in person! Do you have a before picture?

Nancy
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Wow, you guys I have been talking to a guy in VA that I purchased some needles for the Davis from. His name is Bill. Billy do you know this guy? . . .

. . .

Nancy
I do, but in many of the machines, there is a period of time where older parts are used if possible, and during that time the "kinks" are worked out of the new models. So it's possible that machines made during the same time period might be slightly different. Also, aren't the patent numbers on the slide plate? Slide plates often go missing and are replaced with new or older ones. My Davis machine slide plate REFUSES to stay put.

I know Bill very well; he's a great guy and very knowledgeable. We refer to him as the Boye Toye due to his collection and research of Boye cases. I bet he loves that I'm putting that out on the 'net, don't you think??
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Wow, I knew when I saw this machine that it had to be a purplefiend machine! Very pretty! I bet it really looks good in the house and in person! Do you have a before picture?

Nancy[/quote]

No I don't, but have seen pictures of what one with complete decals should look like. Bill said the decals were completely gone and a repaint was the only solution.
Sharon
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

I do, but in many of the machines, there is a period of time where older parts are used if possible, and during that time the "kinks" are worked out of the new models. So it's possible that machines made during the same time period might be slightly different. Also, aren't the patent numbers on the slide plate? Slide plates often go missing and are replaced with new or older ones. My Davis machine slide plate REFUSES to stay put.

I know Bill very well; he's a great guy and very knowledgeable. We refer to him as the Boye Toye due to his collection and research of Boye cases. I bet he loves that I'm putting that out on the 'net, don't you think??
Well Miz Johnny, I really enjoyed talking to Bill and between the serial numbers and Bill I know my machine is somewhere between 1885 and 1895! I just find this whole history thing so interesting. I just realized my serial number is 767313, so I gave Bill the wrong serial number! Oh well, I use to be a blonde! I had written down an 1880's 610833 serial number from e-bay as I am trying to put together a list! No wonder the poor guy was confused!

Yes, the serial numbers are on the slide plate. My slide plate is very difficult to remove! I doubt it was changed, but you never know.

Nancy
Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Nancy
Where is the patent date found??