Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help with big decision.. >

I need help with big decision..

I need help with big decision..

Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 PM

I absolutely love your fabric choices. I have always loved using polkadots with florals, etc.

I think the strips depend on what you want to emphasize. If you want to have the blue stand out then use a blue strip, if you want to deemphasize the blue then pick a warm color. Cobalt blue sounds brighter than the colors that you have in the quilt. Using cobalt might be a good way to pull in the wall color.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 AM

I think maybe the same blue or the burgundy. Can you take the blocks and lay on the colours to decide
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 AM

A nice cream or off white never a bright white in my opinion.
The soilid white will stick out like a sore thumb.

Like the cream or a very pastel yellow would also work very well. Remember opsites on the color wheen are complementary to each other. Blue and yellow are opsite's.

Also the pastel will keep it in the same tone as it now is.

If you haven'tinvested in a color wheelthey are very helpful.

Best wishes whatever you choose. Hope the subjestions her have helped you.

ConnieF
Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 AM

Burgundy, pretty shade of gray. The blues will get lost. Also for a bold affect think about black. Pictures are almost always framed that way. The right shade of brown would be nice as well. Take the quilt to your local fabric shop if you can and the right shade will just pop out.

We all can't wait to see the finished one!
Dianne
Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 AM

I have the same fabric and I used white to frame the blocks though it isn't qayg but still think that would look great. Jan
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 AM

I suggest the white fabric with the blue print.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Could you post a picture of your walls? I am having trouble imagining 'cobalt in a batik look" walls. It would make it easier to suggest colors.
Yes, I too am having trouble seeing what a cobalt blue Batik looks like. Could you post a picture of your wall?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Lay a piece of LT Sage Green between the square blocks. I know it sounds different because you dont have green except the green with the roses.
I try to put something completely different in the space and use the same for backing.It could have a small tiny print in it like wite has tiny prints in them.Hearts,flowers.Its hard to explain it.I have lots of white with tiny prints that I use as extra when I need something different.Ive seen it in all shades of color.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM

This is a wonderful wallpaper called Paper Illusions. My bedroom had paneling and this covered the grooves. You tear it up, wet it and hang the piecing.

I adore it and have done my entire house with it (of different papers of course) The one room I have left is my sewing room, I'm starting it this week with a powder blue marble.

Cobalt blue is a color I have difficulty filming, is seems the camera wants to decide the shade but these 2 photos are pretty close...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-157876.jpe
Views:	88
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	157881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-157877.jpe
Views:	90
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	157882  
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Those blocks are gorgeous - the fabrics are lovely. It really depends on what colour you want your finished to be quilt to be because it will take on the joining strip colour. On a Queen size quilt there will be alot of joining strips and their colour will be very obvious. So if you use the blue polka dot the finished quilt will "read" as a blue quilt as it will bring forward all the blues in the fabrics. Similarly with the pink, burgandy or green. To keep the interest of the variety of the fabrics I would suggest a white on white. I look forward to seeing a picture of your new quilt on your bed and what ever you decide I'm sure it will be stunning.