Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snowed in. YAY! >

Snowed in. YAY!

Snowed in. YAY!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Ladies,
This is a little off topic, but what source of heat do you use? My husband wants to install gas logs as he thinks it will be cheaper than using electric heat that we now use.

Any opinions?

Tkx
Roxanne
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM

We are shut down here in St. Louis today with snow. I had the furnace guy here today, so I am good, but it is colder here than we are used to. Plows have cleared the roads, so tomorrow should be fine. I sure haven't seen anyone outside playing or "enjoying" the snow!

I am pulling my stuff out to do some sewing, and my brother called. Wants to meet for dinner. He is an OTR trucker and will be thru about dinner time! I was hoping to stay home and enjoy being inside! But I haven't seen him for a couple months, so I will go out to eat!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137
I am suppose to live in sunny South Carolina.
We got 9" Sunday night - Monday morning.
Refroze las night.
It is still 30 degrees at 1 pm on Tuesday.
Will refreeze agin tonight.

I am sick of it.
How do people stand it when they live in
snow all winter????
J J
I hate the cold and the snow, the shoveling, gloves, scarves, boots, etc., and every winter I ask myself why I live here in New England, but I have to admit, it is pretty, and a snowstorm is a perfect excuse to stay home and quilt.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Native Georgian...51 years in Atlanta metro area. Snow in Atlanta is a great treat. Ice in Atlanta is devastating! I have lived thru the famous ice storms where we were without power and heat for days and in one case, over a week. I was finally able to experience a White Christmas for the first time this past Christmas. Yes, to my dear Northern friends, this seems crazy. It is! We just don't get enough of the white stuff to warrant the output for the big machinery needed to make this easy. We get snowed/iced in, we eat and drink, we get to do cross-stitch, we get to quilt. ALL IS GOOD!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 PM

We got snow and ice and have been in 2 days and I have
had the time of my life working on quilts.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roxanne
Ladies,
This is a little off topic, but what source of heat do you use? My husband wants to install gas logs as he thinks it will be cheaper than using electric heat that we now use.

Any opinions?

Tkx
Roxanne
We have a geothermal system put in last spring and boy it is a huge money saver although pricy to put in. An unvented gas log in fireplace is nice as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I guess you Northerners laugh about being "snowed in" with just 3" of snow - but the whole south STOPS when it snows. I'm expected to do nothing but quilt. And I'm in the middle of a project that I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited about!
I am also outside of knoxville and been "snow bound" for 3 days now. I finaly made it out late this afternoon braving icy roads to get to walmart for a few things. I hope this let's up before Thursday. I have a class at a LQS on that day!

Cindy
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Snowed in at Marietta, GA too. Thankfully I made it home from Atlanta from work on Monday morning--my daughter and I both work at Piedmont Hospital. Now sewing, checking in with family, cooking. Had to go out briefly for food for the animals--can't believe we ran out. Hopefully travelling gets manageable--my daughter works on Wednesday and I have to go back on Friday. Stay warm!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM

We are snow blizzard ready. Predicting 12-18 inches of snow overnght and into Wed. Full tanks of gas, milk, bread, eggs, batteries. Everything. Looking to my snow day off (maybe 2). Will make muffins, have coffee and sew, sew, sew. Only bad side of this is that I have to make up these snow days at the end of the school year in June.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM

I just saw on 6 pm news, it is snowing in Ohio now, blissard conditions. I dont like Arizona in summer but now, I take it.