Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done? >

t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done?

t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'm in the process of making a t-shirt quilt. i'm not using any stabilizer at all. i've simply spray basted the t-shirts to the batting. each block is backed with scrap muslin. since i'm stippling around the motifs, the shirts remain flat.

i'm making it up as i go along, so i have no idea yet what the final layout will be. it'll be a quilt-as-i-go. these are a few of the "blocks" so far.

once the top is cobbled together, i'm going to flip it over and use turkey tracks to fasten the pieced back. the stitches will go through the muslin and batting, but not show on the front.
PatriceJ,

Your stippling is to die for! Can I come take lessons from you? Shouldn't take more than a few years to teach me how to do this.
you're very kind. i'm still very much a beginner when it comes to freemotion. my stippling usually looks at least acceptable on the front. we will not however talk about the way it often looks on the back. i'm getting very good at picking out sections of stitching and filling them back in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i see that i'm outvoted by a landslide about whether or not to use stabilizer. but ... hopeless rebel that i am, i'm going to continue without it. so far, spray basting them to the batting is serving well enough.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM

I would use the tricot knit fusible stabilizer - ironed on with the stretch opposite the shirt. It's very soft and pliable. I wouldn't do it without stabilization.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Just bought a new stabilizer from ABC embroidery.com its called simply stable. Its a tear away but you can leave it in and each time you wash your item it gets softer and softer. It has a soft paper feel to it. Web site www.abcemb.com hope this helps
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM

there is an iron on stabilizer, can't remember the name, but it has the word Golden in it. Anyway, it's ironed on and sticks while you do the project, but it loosens at the first wash and you won't have the stiff feel. Sure wish I could remember the name of it, but I'm sure if you research, you'll find it.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Very interesting topic....
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Feather3
Floriani has a "No show nylon mesh fusible" stabilizer designs for knits. It comes in iron on & it supposed to stay soft & flexible. Info on this product:

http://www.rnkdistributing.com/pid-6...-Fusible_.html

I don't have a site where to buy it tho. You'll need to do a google search.
I think that is what I used for another project several years ago. It is for knits and allows the fabric to move without stretching. Good Luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM

I've made 2 T-shirt quilts and I used an iron on nylon tricot interfacing. Works great and is very soft yet stable for T-shirt quilts.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM

I've made 2 T-shirt quilts and I used an iron on nylon tricot interfacing. Works great and is very soft yet stable for T-shirt quilts.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM

I have made a T-shirt quilt without the stablizer. I used fleece as my sashing and fleece as my backing. I tied it using yarn instead of machine quilting it because it was so big and so thick. It is very cuddly and very warm.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

My LQS owner has several T-shirt quilts. She used Pellon 911FF Featherweight Fusible, and they are as soft as any cotton fabric, not thick or bulky at all. I just bought some myself to use for a t-shirt quilt. It cost less than $3.00 a yard.