Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM

wow, you ladies are inspirations
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Soooooooooo it was a 2 hour call. He didn't read the e-mail I sent, his computer has a virus and is at the geek squad. He made it perfectly clear he will never get married....ever. Not that we were talking marriage we were talking about all things. He said we should keep in contact. I said like I can call you. he said well if you call I won't hang up on you. I told him about Joyce and my voice kept cracking and I kept appoligizing and he kept saying it was OK. He wants to see the picture of me. The one that is posted someplace on dec thread. Joyce said I should color my hair, it was always blond and she will do my makeup (she is a make up artist)and she will take another picture. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO what do you think of the picture of me that is posted on the Dec thread. Do I look that much like a hag that Joyce wants to do a make over? Nothing could ever become of this. As I have said before he will never leave NY and I CAN'T leave Ohio with Joyce's doctor being here. Now this is funny, he goes fishing everyday during the summer. He retired so he has all the time in the world. We always went fishing he bought his first boat when we were together. I love fish but have become allergic. it can't be cook in the house I blow up and my throat closes. He eats fish a few days a week. Guess we are not meant to be a couple. It was nice talking to him. I wonder what he is going to think when he reads my e-mail? So that's the story. well a few seconds of such a long converstaion. Joyce said not to rush to send the picture. She was so funny when I got off the phone she said "YOU KIDS ARE CRAZY" she was like an old mother hen. It was cute. Hearing his voice made me want to jump through the phone and hug him........
You sound happy, Tru. I am happy for you. Go slowly, now!!
Donna
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
wow, you ladies are inspirations
Your back! How are you doing?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Wow it's hard to keep up to everyone on here. AKAngel I'm so sorry you are injured. Hope you heal quickly and are able to get on with your life.

Gwyn sounds like you live on a roller coaster hope it smooths out for you and you can continue on with your weight loss. Hope the 20 stays gone.

Tru, glad he called hope you enjoyed just having that contact and reconnecting. Who knows what life has in store. Hope you end up with a rewarding relationship. Friend,lover,partner who knows.

Keep up the good work everyone. We're in this together so we know how much of a struggle this can be so lets keep picking eachother up and incouraging each other.

Goodnight all.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I really recommend that you read the book Read It Before You Eat It. It really examines the use of alternative sweeteners. One thing to keep in mind is that sweeteners like Equal are roughly 600 times sweeter than sugar. Sugar is honestly not bad for you. It is better for you than other sweeteners. I sincerely recommend you read that book.

Missy
The trouble with sugar is that it immediately summons out the insulin, the fat STORAGE hormone. Unless you are burning lots of calories at the time, that sugar you eat will be stored as fat. Your insulin thinks you may need it later! :? This is counterproductive if you are trying to lose fat.

Sugar is also addictive for loads of people (myself included), just like a drug. For me it also whacks out my natural appetite and sets me up with serious cravings. I am better off with it out of my system. To me, it's just not worth it. Those sweeties always look better than they taste, anyway.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM

I have been a lurker this month. I do want to say good luck on your wheelchair exercises tomorrow to Missy. I started 'Sit and Be Fit' seated exercises on PBS this week - I choose the standing version when there's an option. The instructor is older than I am, but she is kicking my butt. Apparently dog walking doesn't use as many muscles as I think it does. My legs are not very strong. I spent seven weeks in Jan/Feb having to be very still. I couldn't leave the house and could lift no more than 5 pounds, then I was in a wheelchair in June, July and August. I guess I'm a perfect example of 'if you don't use it, you lose it'. I want my muscle tone back! I'll keep on and so will you. We're all in this together.

No artificial sweeteners or MSG here. They are all poison and some of us are more susceptible. I am one of those. I do eat a moderate amount of real sugar, but try to never drink it. With the exception of an occasional coffee flavoring, nothing I drink has sugar.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM

This sugar/artificial sweetener discussion points out just how much we need to know how our individual body works. Some of us can eat fruits that are high in sugar and be fine. For others it can trigger high blood sugars, cravings and addictions. There are so many products out in the market, we each must be discerning about what is best for us. Just because it works for your neighbor doesn't mean it will work for you.

An alcoholic must never drink in order to stay in control. A drug addict must never use to stay in control. A sugar addict is no different. If sugar substitute triggers your habit...don't use it either. Sugar is sugar, natural, beet, cane. You name it it is still sugar.

We are all wonderful, caring and insightful women. Our quest is for health. My body responds to lemon water when shedding pounds of excess water weight. My doctor has taken over the choices for me at this time. I need that. Most of you don't. You are doing really well eating healthy and finding some way to move your body every day.

The most important part is not the Fat Quarters. It is that each and every day, we get up and face our day with the determination to become healthier than the day before. We eat one less cookie, consume fewer artificial ingredients and walk one more minute than yesterday. I'm proud to be a member of such a strong and caring group of health seekers. Sleep well tonight...tomorrow begins the rest of your life.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 AM

Well said Gwyn, I love to hear all the tips on this thread of what has worked for someone else, but then I have to filter it for what I know works for me. Or give it a try if I don't know whether or not it will work. I have learned more from this thread than I ever learned from my doctor, that's for sure.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I have been a lurker this month. I do want to say good luck on your wheelchair exercises tomorrow to Missy. I started 'Sit and Be Fit' seated exercises on PBS this week - I choose the standing version when there's an option. The instructor is older than I am, but she is kicking my butt. Apparently dog walking doesn't use as many muscles as I think it does. My legs are not very strong. I spent seven weeks in Jan/Feb having to be very still. I couldn't leave the house and could lift no more than 5 pounds, then I was in a wheelchair in June, July and August. I guess I'm a perfect example of 'if you don't use it, you lose it'. I want my muscle tone back! I'll keep on and so will you. We're all in this together.

No artificial sweeteners or MSG here. They are all poison and some of us are more susceptible. I am one of those. I do eat a moderate amount of real sugar, but try to never drink it. With the exception of an occasional coffee flavoring, nothing I drink has sugar.
Thank you so much! I am excited about the class today. I just hope it doesnt kick my rumpus-bo-bo today! :)

Missy
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 AM

Wow, I work and there is 6 pages of discussion to read over!

Gwyn - I'm happy that you're starting to get under control, and I'm really happy that you're doing it with the supervision of a doctor. There are so many people who are not following doctors advice - you're doing it the right way - you go girl!

Carrie - don't be discouraged! You've come such a long way, and sometimes we have to do the winding path to get to the final destination, where-ever that is. :) You're doing great. Keep it up, you're an inspiration for everyone. Honest.

So far, I'm down 4.1 pounds for the month :) Go me! My next goal is only .9 pounds away now.. then I'll set a new 5 pound goal.

Missy - take it one day at a time. One little thing that you can do is to hold cans of beans or other canned veggies in your hands and raise your arms up. Use the cans as weights (they're about a pound each) so start like that. It's free as long as you've got the cans in the house. Just another thought to help tone.

Remember ladies - muscle burns more calories than fat. This is what I'll be working with this month, toning up the muscles I've got.