Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snowed in. YAY! >

Snowed in. YAY!

Snowed in. YAY!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM

By the by, I grew up in Mich., state of serious winter. Winter here in the mountains of N.Ga is a whole different thing. Even though it doesn't last as long snow/ice on the road is so much more dangerous, you can fall off a mountain or slide into a lake.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 PM

My daughter and son-in-law live in Athens Alabama,Monday they made this "snowman" Auburn is Tim's team Can you tell??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-158627.jpe
Views:	71
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	158632  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I guess you Northerners laugh about being "snowed in" with just 3" of snow - but the whole south STOPS when it snows. I'm expected to do nothing but quilt. And I'm in the middle of a project that I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited about!
It's a Wonderful Life, as a nurse usually have the stress of still having to get out but today is my flex day and they do plow here, but is still rough while still coming down heavy so very grateful to be home and have power to do "quilting biz". Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Atlanta: every one officially stir crazy here! DH went to 3 grocery stores just to get out of the house and is now on his way to the nursing home to help feed an adopted elder. Said Kroger had no meat out, bread was iffy and couldn't find fresh onions or carrots. Probably supply chain problems. Bakery was closed at Publix.

Just saw a neighbor who also went grocery shopping fall and break his beer (his concern, I was worried about him).

A neighbor "borrowed" a big bag of kitty litter to get his car started from the hill. Guy said he'd been told if he didn't show up today not to bother! Atlanta is really pretty hilly, we're the foothills of the Applachians.

Streets don't seem as bad, but altho it's sunny, it's icy as it can be, that thick 2" of ice on top of snow. I wish we'd thought to lay in some rock salt for the sidewalk, but it doesn't keep too well from year to year and I bet we couldn't find any anywhere now.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

lucky you o/here it's damp,dark,dismal and depressing.
Roll on more snow.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Here in Easley SC. Formerly from Penna.
Christmas snow did not fall on roads although we had four inches. Now that was pretty. This stuff that fell this week is down right ugly. Had to cancel two doc appts this week. They were closed and I can't get out anyway. Need a prescription called in. Can't get out to get it so hoping for the best.IF we get out down the hill we will never get back up. Several inches of ice under what was snow. Our road is covered with trees so might be Friday or Saturday before we get out. Once in a while we see a vehicle but they go at a snails pace.
Watching TV we hear people saying they have cabin fever so they go out when they should stay home on these icy roads.
These people don't know what cabin fever is.
Once in Penna I called off work. Ran into six inches of snow and could not get my truck home no matter which route we took, nor could we get to work. I was told it would be counted against me. I told them I didn't care. I didn't mind walking to work in afternoon, but not walking home at midnight. I was a deicated worker, but enough is enough.

I would have enjoyed this computer way back then and like you all from up there would never believed what I am seeing now. No equipment so stay safe inside and enjoy your days off.

We always are prepared for worst of anything. Goes back to living most our lives up north. Had a neighbor walk down sick. Filled her a bag of chicken noodle soup etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Worst part is that I have no snow boots so cannot even go for a decent walk. You can bet I am buying a pair once I can get out to get them. Read that Atlanta has 8 snow plows----NYC has 1400. No wonder we are in such a mess here.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Snow is definitely not my kind of "fun". If it would just snow on the grass and stay off the sidewalks and roads, then I could live with that. When my grandchildren were little I taught them that s-n-o-w was a dirty word at my house. They could spell it but not say it. All six of them still have fun with that. But granny still does not like s-n-o-w.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM

I am also from the Knoxville area (Ten Mile just south of Kingston). I have been snowed in since Monday (hooray!). When I worked, I used to laugh at my co-workers from the northern states. The TN drivers used to drive them crazy because we didn't get enough snow to really learn how to drive in it, but that didn't stop us from getting our cars out on the roads. Right now we have ice, which is difficult for everyone ... not just we Southern drivers. Everyone stay warm and safe.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Got ice skates? Front yard looks like a frozen pond with the sun shining on the snow. We had freezing rain on top of the snow. It is actually pretty..hard to get a really good picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-158813.jpe
Views:	59
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	158818