fibromyalgia

Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 AM

It started for me in my twenties and I am now 50. At times it is so painful I can't even touch my skin. I take Lyrica and go to a pain Pychologist and pain clinic.It is true that it is best to keep moving. A friend of mine has it and goes to aquacise. She finds it works well. I just had a very bad spell of it and wanted to cut my legs off. Some days are good and some are bad. I feel for your daughtr so much as it is a tiring affliction and she has the little one. God bless her.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 AM

I also have polymyalgia rheumatica. I never heard of it until my doctor said that and handed me a flyer. I read it, and online, and I was a classic case right down the line. I am on prednizone and trying to get off it for over 2 years, just cannot.

How long have you been diagnosed with that?

Jean

Originally Posted by topper1
I have had fibromyalgia since I was 17, now 56. I also have polymyalgia rheumatica which means more pain and fatigue. I am on prednizone for poly. I take pericet once in while when pain gets worse. I endure it all I can. I do take vitamin D3, helps with energy, take in morning gives me more energy 3000mg day. mOST OF US HAVE VITAMIN
D deficiency. Hope the best for her. Take one day at time.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 AM

The problem with the meds is that different things work or different people. I have tried all the meds listed and have had bad reactions to every single one. I now do the alternative meds route. Most times it works. Right now I a ready to scream it hurts so much but in the last few days I have had a lot of stressful things happen so I expect it now. I am just glad the docs don't say its all in my head anymore.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 AM

medical transcriptionist here, try anything, for prescription or over the counter stuff or herbal remedies, but one at a time and keep a record of results. and do try symptom control, hot water soaks, movement, meditation. have also heard about a lamb's wool bed pad that is supposed to help. good luck to you and your daughter as she finds her way in this.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I sympathise with your DD. I have had fibro most of my adult life. I have gone through years with few symptoms and other times it was almost crippling.
Attitude is very important. Laughter is medicinal. Hot showers or baths and massages help. Having a supportive spouse makes a lot of difference. There is a lot of research going on now and hopefully they will come up with the answer.
I take Cymbalta. It's the only thing that has worked for me. I still have flare ups from time to time, but overall it works well for me.
Check out this site. I get the news letter with all the latest research and suggestions.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/

I hope she gets some help. The good news is it tends to wax and wane, so she will have better days. :cry:
I agree, Cymbalta works. If truly nothing does, then I'd ask for another opinion.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:20 AM

I too suffer. I'm on Lyrica now, and it seems to help. I take it with a small dose of Prozac. I started with a gradual dose and built it up to 2 at night and 1 in the day. Things are better but not perfect. Five yrs. ago I had kidney failure from taking Aleve twice a day. (Normal dose) I'm fully recovered, but I can't take NSIDS of any kind, kidneys are sensitive. Tell her to hang in there. And good luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 AM

I have had fibromyangia for several years and I know this is hard for a person to do, but I had to go to a psycholgist and my reg. MD, they told me I had to exercise and walking was the best thing. I was so depressed I didn't feel like walking but it does help. I have been on anti deprssants every since they diagnoised me. Everyone that I know that has fibromyalgia have differnt symptoms, my pain is mostly in my back and my legs ache like a toothache. I also went to a support group, that helped. It is a ongoing battle. but a person has to be patient and learn to change their lifestyle
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 AM

I have taken Doxepin for years and keeps everything under control....
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM

I have suffered most painfully with FM for several year (23) to be exact. I have guinea pigged everything and then some. There is a lot of stuff out there and considering your daughter is young, there is hope for her. FM is something that will not go away and you learn to manage and control it. She can go at this many different ways but she will need a GOOD Rhuemotologist behind her who knows and understand FM. Most Dr.s even now don't understand it and don't want to take the time to work with it. She will need to start with a log book. Write down time of day, how she feels, what she eats, smells, these will all give her clues as to what is setting the FM off the most. You will also learn to watch the Barometric Pressure. This has a HUGE impact of those of us with FM. Please feel free to contact me if you would like some help with any other questions on FM I have done major research and also worked with my on Dr. to be able to be on my feet and active again. So it can be done but you will need patience. First know there is life still out there and that pain doesn't have to be part of it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Me too. There are so many of this that fight this on a daily basis. I was diagnosed in 1993 after years of medical appointments, including having my head examined. At one time they thought fibro could be caused my a childhood trauma..... lol yes my parents spanked me!

I too have had severe reactions to drugs used to treat fibro. Two years ago I was also diagnosed with Trigenial neuralgia (my face feels/looks like I had dental work all the time). That anti siezure drug along with Lyica almost killed me. There is a long list of drugs I need to stay away from. I now have a fear of taking prescription drugs due to the reactions. I even have a reaction to iboprophen.

I am trying to manage the diagnoses with hot water baths twice a day, Vit D and D3, with Aleve, ice packs for the face, heat wraps for the body. How successful am I, In the summer I can manage. The cold winter months are very difficult. Traveling and sitting for any period of time is a no-no, along with anything to physical. Housekeeping is broken up in catagories. Too much scrubbing in one day puts me down.

This fall, doing the Shop Hop all day with girfriends had me in bed the next two days. Grandkids coming over cause a commotion in the house. The extra noise causes anxiety and migranes. I always wonder how I got to this point.

I do not leave the house for days at a time due to my facial and all over body pain, swelling and congnitive skills.

I am interested in hearing about some of these "vitamen therapy's" some of you are doing.