Memories.....

Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Yep, I remember those things!!! I do remember our first McDonald's, when hamburgers were 15 cents and it was only take-out.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by pad's
my husband always said I was older than dirt......also having "ice blocks" delivered for ice-box, phone #'s without area code, parents first # of 49J was increased to 549J as more phones were added to the party line. I still would like to be dropped into Greenfield Village to reside, as long as I had my mom's White treadle to sew on.....how would "kids" today survive with a nation wide power outage ?????
oppppps, forgot about the coal furnace with octopus arms in the basement and heat vents for upstairs that were cut openings with grids so you wouldn't fall thru & hope your bedroom happened to be upstairs as heat rises.....remember cinders being used instead of salt on roads with snow & ice.....
Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 AM

I remember 8 of them. I'm probably on the "younger" side here - most of them I remember from the time I spent at my Grandma's house during the summers growing up.

2 of them - party line and newsreels before movies I know of but never experienced myself but my obviously my parents did. We did have a small town theater where I grew up that actually had an intermission! that's when we'd go get our candy and soda. LOL
Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Flapper
Sweet cigarettes was candy that looked like cigarettes! Right Ditter?
If that's the case, then I remember those! Loved them LOL!!! I'd buy some in town but have them gone before getting home.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I remember 7 and don't consider myself that old. Aren't "sweet cigarettes" those candy ones? I ate them as a kid an remember them well...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 AM

I remember 13 of them. #1 has me stumped. What were sweet cigarettes? I never smoked though so that might be why I don't know about them. Good memories brought back by reading this thread. :-)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 AM

I remember 10 out of 14 but I was raised by my grandparents. I was blessed,and very loved. I would not change one second of those years except maybe if I could go back I would appreciate them more. smiles brightly with a tear in my eyes. Thank you for sharing this. It has turned my day around!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 AM

Ah, Ditter...here's another Ancient One/Older Than Dirt, etc. I remember the candy cigarettes and after those came the tiny wax bottles that you'd bite the tops off and drink the sweet liquids...red wax lips that you could chew when the clowning around and laughter was over...my grandmother in Georgia, boiling her clothes in the back yard, in a big black iron pot, stirring with a stick then lifting the hot, steaming clothes into the next one. This wasn't much fun, especially hanging the hot clothes on the clothes line even in frigid weather...but I did like the "warming oven" in the wood-burning stove where left-overs were kept until supper-time...if there was any home-made vegetable soup, etc. still there...strange, but there was never any warnings then about keeping "hot food hot, and cold foods cold" 'cause of bacteria, etc. Life was good and those summers with my Grandmother Carden are still oh, so bright in this 80+ year old mind. Thanks, Ditter:-)
Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 AM

I remember them all.
We had blocks of ice delivered for our "ice box"
My mother heated a curling iron on the stove to curl my hair.
There were no plastic bags only paper. Everything came in paper.
We took the "street car" everywhere we went.
When we finally had buses, my mother made me stand so that older people could sit. It cost 5 cents.
We only had one car.
I remember car starters on the floorboard.
Downtown stores were only open one night a week on Monday.
Nothing was open on Sunday accept the bars.
I didn't eat in a real restaurant until I was an adult.
I belonged to 4-H. That is where I first learned to sew. I have a photo of a skirt I made with a zipper and you can see the hole at the top of the zipper where the zipper did not meet the waistband.
There was an organ at every theater and someone played it before the show.
When I visited my sister in Chicago, my cousin took me to a theater downtown where we saw Billie Exstein (?). The theaters had live shows with the movies.
My girl friend and I were the only (and first) girls that our gym teacher allowed to have gymnastics with the boys. We had to do whatever the boys had to do including lifting boys above our heads while we were on our backs.
We wore gym suits in gym.
Girls only wore dresses as there were no "pants" made for girls when I was a kid.
We walked everywhere.
My older sister and I (she must have been 21 and I was 10) walked a mile to get a "real" Christmas tree for the house. The man told us we could have any tree for a $1.00, so we took the tallest one. That was one long walk. When we got it home my mother asked the neighbor to cut it down. We used the top and it was only about 4 ft. high.
Never saw a school bus until I was in my twenties.
Went to a Catholic high school and wore a uniform.
Even our "Pep Club" had to wear uniforms to the ball games.
The boys on the football team played both offense and defense.
My cheerleader uniform consisted of a sweater and coulottes that came down to 6" above our "bobby socks"
Our gowns for Prom had to have jackets over them or the nuns would not let us in the door. We had our dances in the cafeteria of the school.
Our parents had to bring us to the dance and pick us up. We couldn't leave until our parents arrived.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 AM

I remember 9, or 10 if sweet cigarettes mean the candy ones that came in fake cigarette packs? I remember that they had red colored tips so they look 'lit'. I also remember sometimes how my fingers used to stick to those old metal ice trays. Groan...I'm off to the store now to buy some Geritol...