Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Help with Spools ?? >

Help with Spools ??

Help with Spools ??

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by pipsqeak
Go to my web sight at www.quilttilyouwilt.net and I think my thread holder is there. I have a man who makes all of my wood items and he does a great job. I will check later and see if it is there if not I will post one by tomorrow night. Pat
I saw it and ty I'm sure DH can make one of them for me to have as extras lol
Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM

I want to thank everyone for ALL the great ideas !!!
I had no idea there would be so many different ways to do this without affecting the tension and stitches !!! SO now I know !!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to you all :)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
Originally Posted by Genie915
I was glad to see you selected the Janome Horizon 7700 QCP as I have one, too, and absolutely love mine. I use the heavy metal cone stand. There is a plastic one that looks identical but I was told not to get it because it wasn't heavy enough and I'm glad I took their advice. FYI... here's a new product I saw on the Martelli website but it's a little pricey.
Thank you and I'm glad I got the horizon to I love,love, it lol
I called my dealer yesterday and she said there's one that fits on the horizon and she's gona get it for me yay !!
Really happy for you! I have the 2-spool on my 7700 and the 5-spool on my 11000. I love them both. Happy Quilting!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM

my friend made me a large spool holder from a wood bannana tree by screwing an eyelet hook for the thread to go thru under the top arc & on the base she glued a woodsmall peg about 4" long & .5 "around, works great
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM

The spools are mainly used for serging and longarm quilting, but sometimes "just the right color" is on the spool, so, I put a med sized (coffee) can behind my machine and put the spool in it, then thread the machine.

The spool does the flopping in the can and does not tip over and roll off the table or any of the other fancy tricks it can do without being contained.

I also have a dowel with a hole drilled in the bottom that fits on the thread holder mounted on the machine (made for this purpose), but don't use it, I like the can better.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
The spools are mainly used for serging and longarm quilting, but sometimes "just the right color" is on the spool, so, I put a med sized (coffee) can behind my machine and put the spool in it, then thread the machine.

The spool does the flopping in the can and does not tip over and roll off the table or any of the other fancy tricks it can do without being contained.

I also have a dowel with a hole drilled in the bottom that fits on the thread holder mounted on the machine (made for this purpose), but don't use it, I like the can better.
afterthought: My Pfaff does not have a high "pole type thing" exteding above the machine to start the thread through so it feeds from above the machine, so I've taped a paper clip on the side of my machine to thread through before I thread the actual machine. The thread feeds across the top of the machine. This works very well...again I like this method better than the dowel that I have.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM

I have one of those spool stands. They will hold that spool. I got mine from Connecting threads. Not the pretty one but the cheapy. It works great.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

They are so easy to make, and there are so many ways to make them that work well, it seems unnecessary to spend good fabric money on buying one.
My brother-in-law made us one that is just a piece of board with an 6" section of dowel glued into a hole he drilled towards one end, and a 12" section of a wire clotheshanger with a loop bent into the top end that he glued into a smaller hole he drilled near the other end of the board. He varnished and stained it up pretty, but you wouldn't even have to do that. It works great.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Buy an iron stand sits behind machine, one of my favorite purchases ever!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM

I have the spool sitting on the table behind my sewing machine and thread the thread through a safety pin on one end of a drinking straw that's resting on the upright spool holder. Clear as mud? Here's a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-158955.jpe
Views:	32
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	158960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-158956.jpe
Views:	34
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	158961