Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Today's Project >

Today's Project

Today's Project

Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Great idea, thanks for sharing, will work on that. I also use some of my scraps to cover my SWIFTER floor duster, instead of buying refill boxes. Works great for me and saves money to purchase more fabric.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM

I actually use my scrap batting to make little 'quilt sandwiches' for practicing fm quilting, and to make sure my tension is correct before starting a quilt. You can also keep the little practice pieces to use as coasters.

Practice, practice, practice makes perfect, AND it's a lot of fun!

Trina
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 AM

To prevent a bump where the pieces are sewn together, lay the two pieces of batting overlaped on the edges. Cut through all layers and then the edges of both pieces will match. Just butt them together to zigzag the seam.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM

I also had a ton of batting.My Mom told me about a product she found.Its sold on Connectingthreads.com.Its called "Heat press batting"I just love it.Its really easy to use and quilting is as if your batting is all one piece.Its on sale now for $6.39.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM

FYI there is a new product on the market called Heat Press made to fuse batting pieces. Lay batting edges together. Press the tape over the 2 edges and iron.

10 yds/pkg
Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

they work really well. I am not in the prossess of doing that with my scrap pile. Some ugly squares but maybe when they are together it will look ok for a donations quilt. Perhapes if I finish them off in black they will came together.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 PM

A great use of time. Time = money and in this case time well spent saves money.....
Old 01-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ccearley
Today I decided to pull out all of my batting scraps. Wow! What a mountain! I sorted it all out by types, and then pieced together (zig zagged) the scraps that were big enough to be worth saving. I didn't even make it through half of the pile, but now have several made into small quilt size(like donation quilts), AND LABELED.
Has anyone else done this? How did the pieced battings work?
There is a fusable 1 1/2" wide cloth tape that is pressed on with heat for fusing together pieces of batting. There is 10 yards on a roll. I found it first on the internet but now it is in the quilt stores. It works great. I use it to fuse together pieces that combined can be used for lap throws and/or larger quilts. With it, you don't have a ridge as you might when sewing it together. You just butt the 2 pieces together, place the tape on top and apply heat. I used one of those small applique hand irons. Also is quicker than sewing it together. :D :D :D
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM

I use all my scraps in that way. The teenie tiny ones can be used to bump up an applique'
Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM

When you get to a piece that is a strange size, use it for a dust cloth. I know who dusts? But it works very well.