[quote=Ditter43]

Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.we had that
Ignition switches on the dashboard.had that
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. i had one
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.dad had one
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators. yup
>
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1.. Sweet cigarettes ????
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes they're still around
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles had those delivered in 1967-69
4. Party lines on the telephoneaunt had that-great fun
5. Newsreels before the movie black and white and noisy
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning..they're gone? (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7. Peashooters we still use one - i can't tell you why
8. 33 rpm recordsstill have my warped ones
9. 45 RPM records those too
10. Hi-fi's how else can you play the 45's?
11. Metal ice trays with levers in the basement freezer
12. Blue flashbulb brownie hawkeye
13. Cork popguns gave one as a xmas gift
14. Wash tub wringers my mom had one in the kitchen

i can't believe how old i am. i can't get parts for things that
aren't even as old as i am. if i lose one more piece on my blind-stitcher, it's all over.
it was built in 1930, only 12 years before i was built. so many things i use are over 50 years old and they still work fine. how long will the new ones last?

EDIT: anyone remember diaper delivery? i got that as baby gifts - one year for each child.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM

I guess I'm older than dirt--got them all.Diaper service or rinse them in the toilet and wash and hang them out. Bring them in frozen in the winter and thaw them out. Lived on a farm and skimmed the cream off the cans for whipped cream. All the kids worked on the farm and helped with chores. Neighbors helped neighbors, especially when they had trouble. Barn was cleaned by hand and shovel into the manure spreader. Postman knew everyone on his route and the route only had one number. Ten parties on telephone line. No sass to parents and we cleaned up and dressed up to go to town. The holes in our jeans were patched and only used for doing our chores, not for going to town. Older folks were "Mr. and Mrs." Teacher held class for 8 grades, up to 30+ children and older children helped the younger ones, and full respect for home, school, and adults. Weren"t we the luckiest people of all. We had so much and appreciated it and thanked God for our good life.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM

I remember 13 of them, only my great granchildren think of me a ancient. And on a good day,(the ones where I can walk with no pain or limp) I feel so young! In fact 4 or my 5 children are in their 40s, they are now older than I am, I am only 39. hehehehe
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM

I remember all of these. I even delivered newspapers and there was 2 other girls that had paper routes. How about when the telephone rang, it was 2 longs & 2 shorts or any other combinations of rings. How about listening to the radio because that was about the only entertainment we had, Amos & Andy, Fibbermagee & Mollie, Sky King. The only movies we went to were on Saturday night, because that was the night everyone went to town to trade butter and eggs for other groceries. Baby sat for 25c an hour for 3 onery boys when I was a teen. Worked at a resturant in high school, coffee 5cents a cup, piece of pie 15 cents, club steak, potatoes, salad, bread & butter & drink for 85 cents. I was usually the one to do the ironing because Mom worked so that was my job. Bushel baskets of clothes that had been washed, starched and then sprinkled with water from those pop bottles with the tops with holes and the ironed, even on hottest days. Boy, does this ever date me.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 PM

How about always having to wear dresses to school with those wonderful long brown stockings with garter belts??
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Wow!! I rememenber all of those...could add a few...like no running water in the house....a boiler with snow melting on the wood stove and a well where you would get the water with a bucket...i even remember my mom storing food down the well to keep it cool....what about an outhouse...and a potty...yikes...but i`m not that old!! Am I???
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM

I am ancient. I got all of them "Sweeet cigarettes" were candy cigarettes. All the kids who got them thought they were cool because it looked like they were smoking like the adults did.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM

oh yes and the stockings with the garter belt...and in winter we were lucky...thy were made of pure wool...can you imagine how itchy that was...can`t even forget to this day!!! ha ha ha...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Do you remember how fresh the house smelled when you brought in the frozen clothes from the line!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM

hey we never had a phone...had to go to the store for that.....and diaper delivery wow .....my mom cleaned them herself