Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece as backing query >

fleece as backing query

fleece as backing query

Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Regarding the definition of "fleece":

Keep in mind that Pellon puts out a "fusible fleece" that looks just like batting (to me) and allows one side to be lightly ironed on (w/o steam) and there is NO shifting or stretching. It is very easy to use and is about 46" across, so it's good for lap robes, but could be "mated" in the usual ways to make a wider batting.

I use it often (always for smaller quilts) because I can adhere the backing and panel-piece the front from top to bottom, quilting as I sew. I use this method a lot when I'm doing quilts for charity, for smaller children, and for lap robes. When I use it for a free form or "landscape" quilt I do the front (in pieces, slightly ironing to keep them in place, pull up, replace, etc) until I have it all the way I want it. Then I tuck under one side of a seam, overlapping it to the one next to it, and sew. When doing it this way I then add the backing and quilt it.

If I have the pieces ready (cut out) I can put together a lap robe (4x6') in one day (so it's really a two day project). That means a lot to me when I'm doing quilts for my grandkids to raffle off so they can go on a trip with their choir or their church group.

There is also (but I've never seen or used it) double sided fusible fleece. I'm looking to get it ASAP.

Hope this is informative... remember the definition of "fleece" may have more than one meaning. Sierra
Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 PM

I too tried to FMQ with fleece as the backing. It 'scootches' way too much! I wish I had seen this thread before I tried it. Oh, well, live and learn. I tried to FMQ the quilt I made for my great niece to be, but after frog stitching all the tucks, I just covered the mess with prequilted Tricot. The blanket has the top, the batting, the fleece, and the batting attached to the Tricot. I hand tied it. Made a nice thick warm blanket for a baby who will live on the Northern Pacific coast. My niece was thrilled by it. Yet another desperation fix. :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Flannel I agree!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM

I have made alot of lap size quilts (60 x 60) using polar fleece. I use the polyester batting the real thin one. I use the quilting spay to bind them together and a walking foot to sew and I have absolutely no problem with it stretching.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Hi there,

I don't know what to tell you. I must have been lucky...
As I had no problems with the two I did for my grand nieces for Christmas. I pinned every 6 - 8 inches, plain foot, no batting. Just the toppers and the fleece. After creating 6 and 8 inch grids I free form quilted 6 inch flowers on one quilt and 5 inch drafonflys on the other. Polycotton thread.

Most likely because no batting was used. I figured they would be plenty warm with only fleece like one from my childhood.

Suz
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM

What about using fleece in place of batting on a quilt-as you-go quilt? I have a bunch of fleece blankets that have some charity's name on them so I don't want them to show but wondered if it would work as batting if cut in pieces.

Dicey
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM

I've used fleece on lots of small quilts (48" by 54" or smaller) both on my domestic machine and the Tin Lizzie 18. I drape the fleece right side up on my drafting/cutting table and let it relax overnight. Then I place the pieced top right side down on top and pin around the edges and place a few pins in the center. Stitch around the edges with 1/2" seam, leaving an opening for turning. Trim edges to 1/4", turn right side out. Then stitch 1/4" from edge to form a faux binding. Quilt using a fancy or straight stitch on the domestic machine (feed dogs up) or pin to leaders on the long arm and quilt with free form or panto. I think the trick is to let the fleece drape over the edges of the drafting/cutting table and relax, get the stretch out!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I was thinking of using fleece as batting (a recent post gave me the idea)
Should I tie it then?? I don't MQ very well yet.
:D Hi I am in the process of using fleece as my batting and it is going really well I hand sewed the top and the fleece before I put it on the backing , this makes it work as one piece and so far no problems. Let us know how your quilt turns out.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 PM

I have used fleece as a batting and the back of my quilts, but I hand tie. The first floeece I bought was extra thick and I didn't catch the difference, ha went to hand tie and had to actually use pliers to push needle in and up. Didn't make that mistake twice, Now I use the thinner fleece. Love the warmth especially on back of denim. Good luck on how you end up with the finish, be sure to post. :)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 PM

I have done two queen and a twin with the flleece backing but I tied them