Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 PM

try the bottle caps that she uses. it made all the difference when i got them, found them at micheals.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM

I have binded one and will not do that again. It looked terrible. I send mine to a wonderful lady in Louisville, KY and she does a wonderful job as well as quilts my quilts for me. I've been trying to learn maching quilting but I have a long way to go. This was my latest for my son who just got his Masters from Clemson University.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-159287.jpe
Views:	81
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	159292  
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 PM

It took me several years to make my binding look presentable. Practice, practice and more practice. I always machine sew it on and hand stitch on the back. :-D :-D :-D
Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I know I should never say never, but it'll be a LONG time before I attempt binding again. Fact of the matter, I suck at it!! lol It took me all day and it still looked sad. I won't even take a picture of it like I do all the others I've done.
We all need to remember that it took us a year or more to learn to walk, and that was with practicing every single day. And some of us still walk funny.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM

I took a binding class too and I love binding my quilts. I take my time hand stitching the back down. For me, it's my time to say good bye to my quilt.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ceil
I would like to thank those who helped me online last night. I would recommend NOT getting "The Binding Tool" which I purchased from Missouri Quilt Company, hoping it would help. What a mess. My binding had just a little extra fabric so that when I tried to finish it off at the end there were some pleats of fabric. Then, because the ends had already been cut I just could not get them to come together correctly. When I finally followed the excellent directions at heatherbailydesign.com, my edges had been cut so that now, although the binding set nicely, it was no longer even and I could not sew it on without a hole in the front. I am now in the process of piecing in a new section of binding so I can follow those same directions and get the binding to work! I did find other helpful directions at quiltinggallery.com. Someone named Sharon Schamber gave good directions there and I followed them (except for gluing) and got what should be nice corners. Too bad I didn't follow her to the end. All the folding at the end and gluing led me to remember the instant and easy success promised on the Missouri Quilting site. Lesson learned!
I liked Sharon Schamber's instructions too. I also lloved gluing the binding! It works really well!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM

I couldn't do binding either until I got a DVD and book called Sew PRECISE, Sew Fast, Machine Binding from Quilters Touch and my binding looks great front and back everytime. I am a visual learner so I wanted the DVD, but now that I know what to do I use the book when I forget something.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 AM

I was the very same way in the beginning, please just practice it really is doable. Now I can make it and get it on a small piece before I leave for work in the morning, and honestly enjoy the process.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 AM

Yes but just not the same look.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 AM

I'm a new quilter and for now most of my quilts are for family,friends or myself... I seriously had no interest in hand stitching anything lol..Most important to me is durability..
The first binding I did I cut my binding width way larger than most say to do( about 4" ), on purpose...I figured I'd rather wrestle with technique as opposed to wrestling with that lil bit of fold over material.. I sewed it to the back/wrong side, flipped it to the front- bringing it down about one full inch below the previously sewn line and sewed a way...And actually it looks like it was done on purpose (part of the quilting)
Next quilt, I cut the binding strip a lil smaller.. It doesnt look as nice..but, I honestly think that's do to my quilt sandwich not being truly square(the real problem I have- uugh, hate squaring up a quilt)I'll keep searching for a really good tutorial for a fully sewn on binding till I find it as well as squaring up lol...
However, my main goal is to eventually do artsy wall hangings and possibly/eventually enter a few in some shows...When it comes time to do that I'll use Sharon Schamber's tut ( she mentions that her binding method scores high points at shows with the picky judges)
Only thing I would change with her method is about the glue...I found using bottled glue messy and not easily controlled and washable elmers glue sticks to be awesome...I don't apply the glue in a straight line all the way down the side of the quilt... I dot it down...It stays put just as well and is easier to re-adjust if you mess up..Now If they would just come out with a glue stick the size of a pencil I'd be thrilled lol
EDIT: (Like I need to talk more ha!)---- Holice, I'm on my way to check out your binding tut now..I love some of your stuff such as your avater. Whiiich I totally think you need to do a tut on ( lil grin)