Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by carhop
surge protectors only protect from power sirges not from lighting. lighting will melt even large protectors, i could not beleave what lighting could dom it melted my APC surge protector on my computer
We have an electric fence around our horse paddocks.. It got hit by lightning in a storm and blew the electrical panel clean off the wall where the fence hook up was. We have 12 lightning rods properly hooked up to that fence so I think the best protection for our machines is to unplug them when not in use. I could care less about my fridge etc. that's why I pay insurance. My sewing machines are another matter.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 AM

We have the very best surge protectors on everything in the house. Last year my computer fryed and couldn't replace it right away. Then later in the year we had a electrical box in our neighborhood that shorted and explode had a huge ark flash that rocked the hole neighborhood. Talk about hair standing on end!! It was very scary and lucky no one got hurt. It pays to have the best ones on the market.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 AM

We have been struck three times in just the last year. We have some very heavy duty protectors on the computer. However, we have found unplugging is the best of protection. You should not be sewing if it is storming outside anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM

I am another unplugger. My sewing machine is probably the most expensive of our electronic devices. (Let's face it, a computer is almost obsolute when you buy it) My machine is on a highly rated surge protector, but just to be on the safe side, I unplug. We have a lot of power surges here.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 AM

I agree with JJs. I have 2 machines that run from my computer and have each one on a separate surge protector. My serger is on its own, my quilting machine is on its own, and my iron is on its own. We have a lot of money invested in our equipment, so why not buy the best one? I would rather have to replace a $40.00 surge protector than a $6,000 sewing machine.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM

I alway unplug mine....one less thing to worry about!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Some of the better surge protectors also have "insurance" for your electronics, appliances, etc.
How interesting - are they full replacement or limited value?

Since each power company is different, I wonder if you should ask them what surger protector they recommend for your area. Or for that matter the your sewing machine manufacturer as to what they suggest.

There are so many choices - it gets really confusing
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM

My machine went on a surger,right after the TV, my new frige, my freezer. Yes,in that order. But in a bad storm I unplug my machine(bernina) and be sure to keep this cord away from my sewing machine.Oh yes, I also got one for my computer. This came before the frige and freezer. First things first. LOL Marvel
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Five pages of replies to my original thread asking about the correct surge protector to use, and still it seems no definite conclusion. One would think each machine's owner's manual would outline exactly what protection we need. If the answer is using a surge protector, wouldn't it make sense for the machine companies to build one into the sewing machine so we all can rest easily? If it's true that a surge protector is rendered useless after one incident, I can see why this would not be a good option. Isn't it amazing how elusive and complex electricity is?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM

Did you know if a surge protector fails and it damgages any of your electronics or home you can claim it on your home owners or rental insurance.