Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM

I felt the same way, the first time I tried to bind I did it front to back, HELLO, I missed half of it and had to redo those spots, the second time I tried back to front, which was not to bad but my corners were just horrid, yesterday I did it again, front to back and I did a not so bad job, still needs to be improved upon, but that will come with practice, dont give up, you can do it....I have a magazine that illustrates how to make the ends meet up, someone posted the illustration here, it works perfect....please keep trying you will great!!!! :thumbup:
Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Leah Day has a You Tube video on binding from back to front, pretty easy to follow.....
Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM

I don't care to bind either, but the more I do it, I really have perfected my mitered corners! Now to be able to machine sew the binding better, but it is getting better. Practice practice practice.

Maybe just practice on scraps instead of an actual quilt?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Guess I was very lucky...on my first quilt a friend showed me the way to make bias French fold binding, perfect mitered corners and the invisible join...and now that I am making the faux piping binding, I'm still getting perfect miters even with both sides sewn by machine. She taught me well - I think the secret is stopping 1/4" from the corner and sewing the diagonal off the edge, folding the binding over right and sewing down the next side. She had instructions from Fons and Porter that she used to teach me from.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM

ok everybody! here it is!! joining the ends of double fold binding, version 2 by Shelley Rodgers it is soo great.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 AM

Make a small quilt an practice, I had a friend walk me through three quilts, I agree the bindings are a challenge but don't give up.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

try just binding one edge at a time and when all four done merely finish corners by turning square ends under, had never done it before but our quilt leader cut the binding from her fabric and did it single too, hated it at first but it went well and a neat finish too.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

try just binding one edge at a time and when all four done merely finish corners by turning square ends under, had never done it before but our quilt leader cut the binding from her fabric and did it single too, hated it at first but it went well and a neat finish too.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:26 PM

I used to hate to do bindings too. Someone at a quilt shop showed me how to bindings and now I enjoy working on them.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I am new at quilting also. Someone in a quit shop just showed me how to bind when I was there buying material. The following demonstration looks very much like what I was shown and I was successful on my first quilt.

http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf

Good luck