Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and colors >

Quilts and colors

Quilts and colors

Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM

If there was such a rule, no one would make scrappys! There are no rules!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
OK, my SIL gave me a complex last night. I'm working on a more brightly-colored table topper than I usually do (always make browns, tans, golds, etc.), and when I showed it to her she said "Oh, it's nice but it doesn't match anything in your house". I said I could put it in my sewing room, and she looked at me like I was nuts.

I'm wondering, is it 'proper' to add quilts to your home that don't necessarily 'go' with your color scheme? I'm not talkin' total chaos, but a table runner or coasters and such. Is there some sort of rule that I should be following that I should maybe add at least a color that matches?

I'm curious (and a bit paranoid),
Trna
My question is....who made your SIL the quilt police? You can do whatever you want in YOUR house. I have all sorts of colors and designs for my table toppers in the kitchen. Even though my kitchen is painted like a garden, not all my table toppers are garden theme. I love variety. You should make some ugly color combo and tell her it is for her.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Ask yourself if the quilt makes you happy. If the answer is "yes", to heck with proper AND the SIL. Our families can make us sick, if we let them. I'm with the one who said "Keep the quilt, get rid of the SIL."
Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Well I certainly know nothing of this kind of rule if there is such a rule. I love purple and have purple in a lot of my quilts and there is no purple anywhere else in my house but that's okay - I love purple and it makes me happy.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM

My quilts tend to be bright but I like color. I studied color in art and home decorating when I was in school. They both said, add a bit of color to a coordinated room. It will be the focal point. So if you don't want someone looking at a dusty table, add color.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM

OK, my SIL gave me a complex last night. I'm working on a more brightly-colored table topper than I usually do (always make browns, tans, golds, etc.), and when I showed it to her she said "Oh, it's nice but it doesn't match anything in your house". I said I could put it in my sewing room, and she looked at me like I was nuts.

I'm wondering, is it 'proper' to add quilts to your home that don't necessarily 'go' with your color scheme? I'm not talkin' total chaos, but a table runner or coasters and such. Is there some sort of rule that I should be following that I should maybe add at least a color that matches?

Trna
I've always been taught to do the 'proper' thing whatever it may be. Even my high school Home Economics teacher pounded in to our brain to match colors, schemes, etc. So, I find it hard to think outside the box. I have a round dining room table that I'd like to make a topper for, but I'm stymied by the fact that I don't know what color or theme I should use, simply because I think I need to. Are the 'quilting police' around? I hope they didn't hear me talking. :|
Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by gramma8

Trna
I've always been taught to do the 'proper' thing whatever it may be. Even my high school Home Economics teacher pounded in to our brain to match colors, schemes, etc. So, I find it hard to think outside the box. I have a round dining room table that I'd like to make a topper for, but I'm stymied by the fact that I don't know what color or theme I should use, simply because I think I need to. Are the 'quilting police' around? I hope they didn't hear me talking. :|
LOL! Ya know, as I read through this thread, I have learn a lot. ONE thing I have learned is that I need to stop asking approval from family members and those around me and just do what makes me happy. I think HGTV (and family members!) pound it into our brains that there is a right and a wrong way to decorate our homes. Personally, I think it should be an expression of what we feel and who we are.

I vow in this new year to stop asking for people's approvals and start enjoying the process of making a quilt that appeals to me. It will be a hard thing, but I do not want to let others take the joy out of what the hobby brings to my life. If I get excited about a quilt, I'll share it here with those who actually 'get it'.

Happy Friday all. I'm going back to try to adjust my eyes to lay out my daughter's Lover's Knot quilt that is lime green, teal blue, white, and tie dye. Whatever makes her happy, right? :)
Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Maybe subliminally I'm trying to express that I'm still fun. Turn the big 4-0 in a few weeks, and it's possible I'm now trying to say "I'm not afraid to do something I've never done before" with my quilting. That's about as wild as I get. tee hee
Wait till you hit 50 and find out what real freedom is. No one told me that I would be given the freedom to 'not give a rip' for my 50th birthday! I now know what real freedom is! :thumbup:
Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

"proper" "rules"

What are those... if you like it that's what counts...
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM

I quite frequently say whatever pops into my mind. This is a BAD thing! That's probably what she did. She thought it and she said it.

The simple fact is, it's your house and you get to choose!