Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No stash -- on purpose?? >

No stash -- on purpose??

No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Doesn't one of the fellow quilters associated with Eleanor Burns also do the same thing? When she gets fabric for a quilt, she uses the leftovers on the back of the quilt. This way she can start fresh on the next quilt she wants to make.
I'm a scrappy quilter so YES, I do have a stash, not HUGE like some on here, but what I can afford.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
kbs

How can you live without stash?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM

I guess I am in the minority here. I started out buying fabric without a set purpose but found I never had enough for what I wanted to use it for. Now I pick a block or pattern and then buy the fabric for it. I do however, keep my leftovers.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I am in the minority too, I think, like sidmona and a few others. I always check the remnant bins at the stores and have won fat quarter draws at the quild, and sometimes see fat quarters in odd places, like Odd Lots, haha, some were good quality, some were crap. So I have a mini stash I guess, very small, but satisfying to me. I also save my scraps. I guess to each our own, whatever we find works for us.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM

can you imagine the good stuff people must throw away. I mean throw in the trash. They don't even try to give it away to neighbors or friends or the thrift shop. They are to lazy and just toss it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Stash? What stash? OOOOOOOOOOOh you mean all the pretties that are on the shelves, cubby holes, totes - big & small, sweater shelves hanging in the closet, under the bed totes too and the plastic & cardboard dressers. NAHH I don't have a stash. I have a hoard :-). To think I only started this back in late 2008. OH don't forget about the books and sewing machines too. ROTFLOL
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 PM

I can't imagine not have a stash. I even stress over throwing away tiny bits of fabric ... I keep thinking I might need it for something.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM

I would say Im still fairly new to quilting. However I think having a stash is the best part of quilting.. I love buying fabric just because I like it. I mostly buy quarters or half yards. However twice now I have liked a fabric so much I have bought all of it. My stash is still evolving I am working on collecting Paisley prints and shades of brown and other earth colors. I get frustrated because it takes me forever to find a paisley I like and then when I do the price is outrageous so I sadly have to pass it by.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
Does anyone not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE???? I just finished talking with a co-worker who is also a quilter, and she told me that she doesn't have a stash. She said she used to but found it too depressing to go into her sewing area and see all the -- what she termed -- unfinished projects (meaning the fabric in the stash that has not been used). She only buys fabric when she has a specific project she will be making. She brought in a quilt to show me that she had made for her nephew when he was young. She said she had taken a class for that particular quilt, and when she was finished, she asked if anyone wanted her leftover fabric. The women were agast that she didn't want to keep it to add to her stash. They were even more amazed that she had chosen NOT to have a stash. :| When she does see fabric that strongly appeals to her, she will purchase it and make the quilt right away. Get this: she used to work at a fabric store!!! Once upon a time I worked for Minnesota Fabrics, and I could not resist buying fabrics as we would get in a new collection!!! I don't know how she does it!!! She certainly has much more willpower than me!!! :roll: I do have a stash. It's not huge, and I "shop" from it first when gathering fabrics for a quilt. If I don't have something that will work for the quilt, then I will go shopping for what I need. :wink:

So-o-o-o the question is: do you not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE?? :?
I agree with this person. I have a stash (too much stash) every time I go to make something I don't have anything in my stash that would work in the project. So off I go to buy new fabric to use. I have invited a friend who wants to learn to quilt to use my stash. If I were to start over I would not have all this fabric taking up space.l
Old 01-15-2011, 03:22 AM

At last a stash thread that doesn't make me feel bad. (Just kidding!) MY "stash" came with me when we moved to Oklahoma where we have had 3 financial downturns in the last 10 years. We are just working our way out of the third (and hopefully last!) one. Thankfully I am a scrappy quilter and have been able to use up even small scraps, so I have been able to find something to do. I have more than enough double nine patch blocks to make a quilt and lots of the little squares that I think I'll use to make lap quilts for the nursing home. I also have most of the top cut for a log cabin quilt. But it has reached the point that my whole "stash" fits in ONE rubbermaid tub and some of it I think "why did I ever get that?" Thankfully last month we paid off one BIG bill and this month there is a little $$ left over- so you KNOW where I am going today! To the FABRIC store!!