Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Seam Rippers >

Help with Seam Rippers

Help with Seam Rippers

Old 01-15-2011, 07:03 AM

I leave my seam rippers put away and use my rotary cutter blade, especially on paper piecing unsewing. Then I use a piece of tape to get out the cut threads.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
:? Hi all need your help. What is it with seam rippers. I want to get a new one. The price I see is from $1.79 to $24.99. What is the difference? Don't they all just rip seams. I know some have mag. on them, some have lights. The ones I am talking about are just regular rippers. The one I have now has a sharp end and the other end has a round ball. Does the ball go between the fabric and the seam? Sounds dumb I know but.....
I have never found one that I like but I do have a tiny pair of very sharp scissors. I use those. They fit between seams as well as under threads. They are Havel's.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I found a razor blade holder, use to scrap paint off windows, at a paint store. It's small and very lightweight. It is the perfect size to hold a razor blade to unrip.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 AM

I like ones that have a smaller point to rip with. I have a bigger one and it is much harder to slid into a stitch and not catch on the fabric.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
:? Hi all need your help. What is it with seam rippers. I want to get a new one. The price I see is from $1.79 to $24.99. What is the difference? Don't they all just rip seams. I know some have mag. on them, some have lights. The ones I am talking about are just regular rippers. The one I have now has a sharp end and the other end has a round ball. Does the ball go between the fabric and the seam? Sounds dumb I know but.....
The ball part goes to the back of the seam you are ripping. It keeps you from slicing through the fabric. You need to add a little tension to the fabric I sort of grip each side and with the ripper in my right hand sort of just touch the thread with the inner razor edge, the tension on the fabric will help pull the threads loose and you can go on readjusting your hands as needed. The sharp point is good for picking out threads on jams or double sewn seams. I use just an inexpensive ripper, as they do get dull and need to be replaced. Here is a tip if you are right handed and know a left handed sewer, when your ripper gets dull, trade and you will have a new sharp edge to use. Same trick works with potato peelers.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 AM

hi I'm sure there are different grades, some better than others, but I get plain very serviceable rippers in bulk from Cleaner's Supply or WAWAK. That way I have a seam ripper in every part of the house. Can be as cheap as 50 cents depending on how many you buy. Stock up and take orders so you can take advantage of their one price shipping.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 AM

you can find these too at WAWAK. So now you can order blades and seam rippers and only pay shipping once. They also have a wonderful thread cutter. It's blue and it's so sharp.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM

My personal favorite is Clover brand. They seem to stay sharp longer that any other. Nice handle and SHARP point.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
Could you find single edge razor blades at Freight Express? You might also try upholstery shops, we got them by the boxful (100) till my DH decided he liked the (snap-off blades) box cutters better--and he's even discovered the seam ripper(?!!)
I am not familiar with FE but will search it out and see what I can find. I used to use the blades all the time for cutting stencils as well as ripping seams.

Carol J.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 AM

these are mine,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-71932-1.htm

and have added to them LOL