Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No stash -- on purpose?? >

No stash -- on purpose??

No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I guess I am in the minority here. I started out buying fabric without a set purpose but found I never had enough for what I wanted to use it for. Now I pick a block or pattern and then buy the fabric for it. I do however, keep my leftovers.
I am also in the minority I guess. I have bo't a few pieces that I fell in love with and 10 yrs later still have them because I never found a use for them. Seems like I either do not have enough yardage from a piece that I want to use or else I can't bear to cut a small piece from a large piece of yardage so I quit fighting the problem and buy for the current project but save the leftovers.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 PM

I certainly admire her! I wish I did not have a stash...our home (a 100+ year old farmhouse) truly has limited storage space. And, I hate like everything to have have my stash sitting out 'looking' at me all the time!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Can I delete this thread before my hubby sees it !!!!

Oh god no !.. I have a nice stash and I never have enough.. I cannot imagine NOT having one.. Shes got some will power.. Wow..
Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 PM

:shock: :shock: :shock: Absolutely not...and she calls herself a quilter :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Don't have a stash. Would like to but right I can only buy the fabric I need. Never anything left.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM

That's like having kitchen cupboards that are empty...

I gotta have the fabric to look at - sometimes I just sit and look at my different prints, and then I get ideas
Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM

I have NO space for any type of stash. :)
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM

I am jealous! I'll bet the rest of her life is uncluttered, too.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM

My fabric fits in a small closet in my sewing room. I put in a 3-shelf bookcase and use the three shelves and the top for my fabric. I have a smaller one (about 18" wide that houses my fat quarters, Christmas fabrics, and small "panels" I can use for large applique designs. For example, I have a swan that will be used for the center of a quilt for my niece who adores swans. Quite a bit of my fabric has been given to me, but I do purchase some when I see it and it fits a future project that I have in mind. I like being able to "shop" from what I already have. Most of the time I can pull from it without having to purchase more for the design I have made, but if need be, I rework the design so I can make the fabric fit the project. I don't work from patterns but from my own designs so I rarely have any problems using what I have. Whenever I do need additional fabric for a project, it's usually for the backing, but I have been known to piece those, too. My stash is small, but it certainly fits my needs. As much as I love fabric I cannot imagine having the backstock as large as some I've seen. :wink: I think I would feel so overwhelmed by it. Maybe I wouldn't, but I think I would. Right now I'm gathering fabrics for seven I Spy quilts for my four nieces, one nephew, and two future step-grandsons . When I'm finished with them, the leftovers will be added to my stock and will be used for scrap quilts. I also use my fabric to make non-quilt projects such as placemats, table runners, window valances, etc. I make these items mostly for my mother. She loves to change out her "linens" so she appreciates them. I have recently used some of my fabric to line crocheted purses I make from pull tabs. My stash of fabric has saved me quite a bit of money because it was either free or was purchased at a very good price. When I need to make this year's auction quilt, I will pull from what I have. The school benefits from the sale of the completed quilt, my students benefit from having helped make it, and my wallet benefits from it by not being bled bare. :-)
Old 01-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Silly question :-) I can not imagine even in my wildest dreams not having a stash. I had a stash *before* I became a quilter. How can you quilt and not have a stash??

Diana