Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lots and Lots of Fabric >

Lots and Lots of Fabric

Lots and Lots of Fabric

Old 01-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Of course I use 100% cotton - but, I also consider the tightness of the weave, the weight, and the finish. Some finishes wash repeatably well, others do not. If I wanted to buy some, I'd purchase a small amount and go home to wash and dry it several times. Mark a ruler on it with permanent ink to find out how much (if any) it shrinks. If it looked the way I wanted, I'd rush back to the store!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM

I think I'm going to go back on Monday and pick up a little fabric and try out your suggestion. Thanks a bunch! Thanks to all of you!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM

I found a place near me that will give you their scraps you just have to haul away. I ended up with so much it was amazing good quality fabric!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Linda R
Today I stumbled into a shop that makes curtains, pillows, and does upholstery work etc, etc. They had oodles and oodles of fabric, (some of it was Waverly and other brand names) most of it 54 wide, and a lot of it was 100% cotton plus they had a 20% discount going on (even on the sale items)...but I didn't buy anything today because I wanted to know does anyone use this type of fabric for quilts? I'm fairly new at quilting so I wanted someone's advice before I went wild!
It would work, but it is a little heavier than quilting cotton. It works great for bags and purses. I would try a simple project before I used it on a big project like a quilt.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:52 PM

The plus side of decorator fabrics is that most do not fade in sunlight as fast as many quilting cottons. The downside is that most are not made for machine washing, even if they are cotton. The dyes used are not intended for repeat washings and do not stay true after a few washings.
When was the last time you put your couch in the wash?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IngeMK
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I've got Waverly fabric too, but didn't know if it would be good for a quilt...it's fairly heavy.
I agree, I have drooled over fabric like that also, but it really would be too heavy!
I also agree, too heavy for quilts IMO
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM

I would think the weight would be similar to that of denim. Don't know about the fading during washings, tho'.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I would think the weight would be similar to that of denim. Don't know about the fading during washings, tho'.
Most or all of home dec fabric is treated for ultraviolet resistance, which may be fine in quilting. But it also has a treatment that gives it the nice crisp feel and look. The first time you wash it, that is gone and more so each time you wash it. This is true especially of Waverly fabrics. I used to do a lot of home dec sewing for people and have used the scraps for pillows etc. Just doesn't hold up to a lot of washing. If you do decide to sew with it, use a heavy needle, 90/14, or even a denim needle.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the info Gran of 6! I will remember that. I think I will wash what I buy first just to see how it does hold up. They sure had some beautiful fabric and I liked the idea it was wide. I'm thinking it would be great for backings if nothing else.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The plus side of decorator fabrics is that most do not fade in sunlight as fast as many quilting cottons. The downside is that most are not made for machine washing, even if they are cotton. The dyes used are not intended for repeat washings and do not stay true after a few washings.
When was the last time you put your couch in the wash?
Agreed, the washing aspect would also concern me if the fabric is going to be used for a quilt that will get heavy usage.