Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrap 'em well quilters!!! >

Wrap 'em well quilters!!!

Wrap 'em well quilters!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:49 PM

I love to know what really happened to your package! How on earth did it get in this condition.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM

I'm glad to say that I just ordered some poly bags online...thanks *kriscraft99* for helping me out in choosing a good seller on ebay.

Hopefully I'll have them within a week or so.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM

at your local post offices they have what they call flat rate packages they supply you with the package size you need you pay one flat rate starting at 4.95 for the padded envelopes i have shipped many things in these packages including car parts all the package i have sent have never had any problem with rips or tears or even broken boxes they seem to be very cautious with those type of packages try this next time and see how you like it
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM

I had the same problem with mailers when I sent out my novel. I bought some of those poly plastic ones that will not tear or break open. They're wonderful. I write on them with a sharpie so there is no label to fall off. I lost several books in the mail before I started using these. Order from Uline. Good prices if you do a lot of shipping.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM

Well... it looks like they didn't BEND IT!

But, they must have done everything else to it since it is a wreck!!! :-D
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

It's always a good idea to put the sent to address on the inside of the pagage also, so if it ends up like your package the PO will know who it goes to. Glad you got your book in one piece.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Yeah, they pretty much tried to do away with it! Thanks to Barb, it was saved!!!

I need to find an inexpensive supplier for the poly bags as well. I use manila enives a lot and the only place I have found the polys is Office Depot and they are very proud of them there!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Natalie just sent you a reply to your PM.

hopefully these will be our answer to safe packaging for all our future deliveries.

I gotta send my thanks out to *kriscraft99* for helping me out.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I would say hackey-sack instead of frisbee ~ man, that's nuts! I wrap all fabrics in plastic and seal shut, then tape securely... I thought I was being OCD about it, but now I am glad I do it that way! :shock: So glad you got it unharmed!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by natalieg
By wrap 'em well, I'm not referring to wrapping with quilts, I am referring to your packages you send out. Like many others on the board, I buy and sell things in the classifieds. Or, should I say "overbuy"!
Recently I bought a book from Barb (frugalfabrics) and was so happy I bought from her! She placed the book in a plastic bag (I really appreciate this as my mailbox tends to get snow in it)! She then put the book into a manila envelpe and taped it shut, very well. She put tape over my address and her label and every crack and crevice. Thank goodness that she did because the following pictures are what I received a few days after she sent it out! The bag over the book kept it from getting damaged, not even a bent page! The tape over my addy was the ONLY way they said that they were able to deliver it to me, if there would not have been tape over it, it would have been destroyed!

My post man was so embarrassed! It looks like the post office decided that they should send it from MI to MT by using it as a frisbee!

Just something to think about~package them well and cross your fingers-they do stand a better chance at arriving safely!
Sure glad your sender took the time to give some extra care in packaging. It does look like "it went through the wringer" for sure.
You should see what I rec.'d in the mail this week with some templates in it. The envelope had two rubber bands around it and was partially folded when I picked it up at the P.O.. It had been quite a while since I ordered them and only knew what it might be from the name on the return addy. Two of the templates weren't damaged. The other two were, they were broken and one of them was missing a piece of the template . (acrilyc) so needless to say two were or rather are useless. The envelope was torn up so bad and had a hole in the corner, so apparently the broken piece was lost in transit.- They were sent in a large envelope much like a greeting card would come in, no bubble wrap, nothing. Our postal service leaves MUCH to be desired when it comes to handling things, and yet they are always raising postage and say they are going into the red all the time. The workers make a bundle and have all holidays off. Our local P.O. window closes at 4:30 on the dot M-F, not open at all on Sat. and no mail is even picked up on Sun. everything has to wait until Mon.. I know other delivery services, such as Fed Ex, UPS etc. don't always do a fantastic job either, but I really get disgusted with the postal service. Now our local P.O. measures every thing with a ruler if it isn't in a normal letter or legal size envelope. I ask about something I had to send to my son one day in a small bubble wrap envelope very light weight,but they charged extra postage, because I used the bubble envelope and they said "Well it requires special handling".They charge extra if you use a bubble envelope. This to me is just another way of ripping us off. They really don't seem to care about how they handle any of the mail. I was told once if you mark Fragile on it, it is even worse, unless it is really wrapped well. Sorry, Just had to vent.