Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt pirates?? >

Quilt pirates??

Quilt pirates??

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 PM

lol
I would buy these.

As Americans, we have a very skewed sense of death. I don't see these as "dark side" and you certainly would not look at me and think of me as "dark." You would never guess I have an entire collection of skull and skeleton fabric. There is nothing dark about it.

I see these fabrics and others as a celebration of life and making "death" just a little more friendly. Other cultures honor the dead. As Americans, we make death about the loss suffered by those left behind, still living. Funerals are to honor the dead, but they are also for the living.

We are all the same on the inside and one day we will all be reduced to bones. It isn't dark. It is part of the cycle of life.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 PM

I don't like them at all!!
Noticed the "pop-up"ad is for coffins.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
lol
I would buy these.

As Americans, we have a very skewed sense of death. I don't see these as "dark side" and you certainly would not look at me and think of me as "dark." You would never guess I have an entire collection of skull and skeleton fabric. There is nothing dark about it.

I see these fabrics and others as a celebration of life and making "death" just a little more friendly. Other cultures honor the dead. As Americans, we make death about the loss suffered by those left behind, still living. Funerals are to honor the dead, but they are also for the living.

We are all the same on the inside and one day we will all be reduced to bones. It isn't dark. It is part of the cycle of life.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just my two cents worth.
I agree!!!
I would buy them without even thinking about it. There are sewers that are all ages. The younger generations would love this. It's not for everyone and everyone has their own tastes....but I know I'll be getting some. :)
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM

hmm ok these are just um wow. bizarre lol
Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM

sorry ladies, but i have to disagree with the hate of these fabrics. i personally don't think i would ever use them; but i really am laughing my a-- off. they are too funny. especially the knitmare one. i might even use it for a bag or such for a special person. they are just over the top.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 PM

I dislike the skull theme also. At Christmas I was shopping for my son and looking at the t-shirts. Most of them had some type of skull. A couple were looking at the shirts also and said their son would just love them. I should have just smiled, but said, "I refuse to buy anything for my son that promotes death." They said, "OH, but everyone is doing it", and looked at me like I had no tolerance. I thought maybe I should tell them about the "bridge", but decided to keep my mouth closed. I agree with TexasJuneBug. It is desensitizing our children and we wonder what is wrong.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 PM
vic

ugly and would make a strange guilt.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I'm with you on that Kathy. One more commercialized way to influence and desensitize the minds of kids. No wonder our cultures is in trouble. Does anybody else ever get the feeling that our national children are being used as guinea pigs by opportunists that care not one thing about their future?
I wonder why parents allow their children to wear such stuff.

To me the fabric is saying that knitters are dead, or the designer wishes knitters would die. If I saw fabric like that for quilters, I'd be insulted. And I will not purchase anything that glorifies death, evil, and horror. I hold on to the hope that if it doesn't sell, they'll stop making it. But there are so many people who do purchase it that society is force-fed this garbage. So, I just go quietly on my way, till someone pulls out a soapbox.....I just can't help but climb on it.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
I don't like any of the "darkside" crap and can't stand to see kids with it, I don't care if it is pink
I agree 100%
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 AM

I think the Elm Street one is funny, my daughter is a knitter and would love a bag made out of that maybe with the skulls as a liner. I think for certain people and projects that fabric is perfect.