Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Gal

What an intertesting thread, everyone to their own of course.
I began quilting not long ago and started with just the basics, I am very happy plodding along at my own pace making my old fashioned quilts with just a few basics. I do love the new modern quilts though with new innovations and techniques, as with all arts and crafts every new generation must bring to the fold all that the new decades have to offer. That's what I like about quilts, you can love the old favourites but at the same time feel really excited by the new quilts on the block, excuse the pun!

Gal
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 AM

I have a few hand pieced and quilted quilts that were done by my husband's wonderful mom, grandma and aunts. They are without a doubt GORGEOUS. But for me, I have no patience for handwork, so that said, my machine, rotary cutter, embroidery module, etc., etc. are stickin' together on this - NEW way is my way :)
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 AM

I have asked myself the same question many times. There was something so true about those older quilts, so sweet and humble....I've considered whether minimizing my gadgets and quilting devices would pass that same "feel" onto my quilts. My impatient need to finish a quilt (or shamefully abandon it unfinished) and move onto the next "engenius and creative" idea keeps me from ever actually reverting back to those old tender ways. Searching for a quicker easier way for just about everything is what this era thrives on and I'm a product of my environment and my generation. Sadly true.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:58 AM

My grandmother even back in the 50's was a sewing gadget geek she bought a new singer in 51 the yr my sister was born and she later got a comercial lock stitch singer she worked in sewing factories for yrs when the home sergers came out from baby lock she was the first in the family to get one , Her quilts were always hand quilted with a big hoop while watching wheel of fortune I dont think she would have sent one to a long armer but she might have tried to figure out a way of buying one and doing it herself. I have a little gracie frame and Janome 1600 and The quilt I made for my son I quilted on it the one to my daughter sent to long arm to have quilted and It just seem to take away the feeling of making the quilt from me . but thats just me
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 AM

I still bake bread from scratch, but that doesn't mean I want to churn butter or milk the cow. I think it's the end result that matters, not the road you take to get there. :)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 AM

greenfairy's work is just beautiful and she is very talented and also creative. I am a longarmer and I don't do anything near that good, but I am still on a learning curve. I like to hand quilt also, but that lady's work is WONDERFUL!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Our grandmothers were as modern as they could be for their time. If they could have had rotary cutters and Pfaffs I am sure they would have welcomed them. I believe nostalgia is fine, but my grandmothers did not live in times like ours with the level of demands on their time that most of us do today. Neither worked outside the home once they were married. I love the history of quilting and the tradition, but unless you put me on a deserted island somewhere i barely have time for the quick-cut methods available to me now to create quilts for charity or for kids and grandkids. Bring on the technology! Grandma agrees!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Would we all want to be driving to the fabric store in our "Model T's"? Or get a block of ice delevered for our "ice box"? I also like the modern things we have today. Our lives are so much busier than in times past. Although the quilts of the past are very beautiful, so are the ones from the present. The fact that we are making these beautiful quilts still, speaks for itself!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 AM

Think about this: it can be any way you want it. Do you prefer hand quilting? Good, do it! You prefer scissors over rotary cutter? Great..use them. One of the wonderful things about quilting is that there is lots of room for individual preference. My daughter is all about the product, not the process; I enjoy the process. My daughter's best quilting friend (and these "girls" are in their 30s) does everything by hand!!! I am in total awe of her talent and patience, but I want a sturdy, fast quilt for that baby shower next week! Isn't it great that we have so many choices? And, not only that, each new quilt project allows us to make choices all over again. We'll never be bored!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 AM

I grew up with quilts made by grandmothers, mother and aunts. Most of the quilts (older ones) I have were made in the the 30's, 40's and 50's. I do have one my grandmother made in the early 1900's. So my background of quilts were all done without all the modern gadgets. I guess that is the reason it was my aunts liked the piecing and my mother loved the hand quilting. That is where I learned the love of hand quilting early on. I taught myself piecing (both hand and machine) in the 70's. I do use most of the modern techniques, but I do realize and understand why I have so many quilts NOT quilted. I still want them hand quilted and can't make myself learn the machine quilting. I have had some machine quilted, but they are for the grand children or lap quilts that are 'used' and laundered a great deal. The two quilts on my bed now are both hand quilted--I have my Amish connections do the quilting for me, since I don't have the time. I always have a hand quilting project at hand to keep my love of the whole process going. I strongly believe that hand and machine quilted quilts should be judged separately. The each have their place in the quilting world. I truly admire some of the hand quilting I have seen on this board. Keep up the good work.