Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 AM

The consensus seems to be that there's room for all methods and tools. Just as in cooking, some prefer to cook from scratch, others just love using those microwaves.

I can certainly admire the sensational quilting done some LAs, but I also love hand quilting. I do agree that in any competition, there should be separate categories based on techniques.

Some people follow a pattern exactly, including fabric choices. And others see a pattern, it sparks an idea and they are imagnative enough to create their own version.

That said,(and no insult meant to those who do art quilts), maybe I just don't get it when it comes to some art quilts. but I'd be happy to be enlightened on that topic
Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Yeaaaaaa both ways win...... I love to do both,hand for relaxtion,machine etc for instant gratification....
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM

For some of us it's a blessing. For me I have MS and if I had to cut all that fabric by hand I'd get discouraged really quickly. I use my electric die-cutting machines such as the Cricut Expression by Provo Craft to cut my fabric with as well as using my Sizzix Big Shot Wesminster Edition die-cutter to cut fabric stashed 6-8 high so I don't have to do so many cuts. It really saves on time. I use many of the AccuQuilt dies in this machine as well as any other brand out there and the Cricut allows me to cut any design I want to if I applique.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by lindagor
I still bake bread from scratch, but that doesn't mean I want to churn butter or milk the cow. I think it's the end result that matters, not the road you take to get there. :)
I totally agree!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
Yeaaaaaa both ways win...... I love to do both,hand for relaxtion,machine etc for instant gratification....
I totally agree! There is room for all of us.
However,I do beleive that there should be different catagories in quilt shows.
Happy quilting,EVERYONE!!!! :D :D :D
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidwent
I'm just beginning this topic to see what you all think.
As a child I remember watching my grandmother make me a quilt, that I still have some 50 years later. She had a treadle sew matching a pair of scissors and a fabric tape measure. Her quilts were/are amazing.
Are we now depending on gidgets and gadgets and modern machines too much?
I know we can whip out amazing quilts in days instead of weeks/months, I am just wondering if new is always better?
David
To me it is too modernized, the sheer cost of some quilts are far too much; I think we could cut back both on gadgets and cost-----MHI.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM

I lack the skill and patience to hand sew so all my stitching is done by machine. But only recently have I begun learning to use a rotary cutter, which has only been used to make binding strips. Before that I was strictly using scissors. I still try to keep it very basic and not buy every single new quilting tool out there. Can't afford to do so.

New isn't always better, but sometimes it is. Like the ergonomic rotary cutters and scissors...some people might not even be quilting right now if it weren't for tools that were easier on the hands. I say if it helps you make a beautiful quilt then by all means use it.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM

May I ask why you use a treadle machine. You don't use an electric machine at all. I'll have to try my Grandmothers next time I visit my son whom I gave iher treadle to a few yrs ago.

I've been reading a series of books The Immagrants and how the women spun theirs wool and sewed all their clothes by hand and what a joy when her husband bought
her a treadle.

We have come along way's haven't we girls!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM

I see it kind of like autos, we all love a brand new car but a restored Model T is priceless!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM

I started quilting in the 2004 and I don't know any other way to quilt without using my Bernia machine and all the fancy gadgets. I would love to learn to hand quilt, I just can get the rocking motion that you need. I do have a treadle and a crank and have never used either one. I am willing to take any advice regarding these machines. For those of you who had or have a grandmother or mother to show you the process of quilting is blessed. The old ways mixed with the new help create new ideas. Just my penny's worth :-)