Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those yellow quilter's pins????? >

Those yellow quilter's pins?????

Those yellow quilter's pins?????

Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM

I use them for everything, too. I have a few shorter pins in my one pincushion and occasional pull them out by mistake. I always put them back in and grab the long yellow ones.

Really, though, they were made for the long arm quilters. To set up you have to pin (or baste) the quilt top and bottom to the leaders of the LA. They are great for that.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM

I use the white headed silk pins most often now, but the yellow pins are easier for me to place to be removed as I reach them when sewing by machine. I guess its a matter of "to each his own" when it comes to pins. I must have about 10-12 different varieties.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Sorry, don't use mine either. I can deal with the length but they are as thick as nails.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Janetd
I bought those "quilter's must have" yellow quilter's pins many years ago and never used them. I've been quilting steady for years now. They are so long and unreasonable for piecing 1/4 inch seams. So what are we supposed to be using them for, does anyone know? I use them now to hold fabric to the back of my little fabric bolts.
This may sound strange, but I use mine to to hold my rolls of binding together.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Never bought them because they don't look like a serviceable item for me. I often use fusible tape because I hate getting pricked with pins. I also baste my quilts and rarely pin when piecing.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM

I use the yellow headed pins for everything. I love them because they are long and usually secured.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 PM

My mom gave me some, and I have been using them for basting. They work better than the shorter styles, but I've found that some seem to fall out when moving the quilt around, so I just ordered basting spray. I think the pins falling out is a big part of my problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
I use the yellow headed pins for everything. I love them because they are long and usually secured.
Me too, I use them when quilting and for clothing making also. Love the glass head pins too, they are so nice to have them in and jump up and press a seam. I have the flower head pins and they are nice to use if you are making a stack and whack quilt to hold 8 layers together. I even have some flat head pins that look like small pastel colored buttons, never used them - just thought they were cute so I bought them. lol
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I think I've used mine once, to hold the layers together as I tied a quilt that was flopped out on the floor. I find I prefer safety pins for basting and regular dressmaker pins for piecing.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I sometime use them when machine quilting to add extra pins just before the pressure foot. Especially when the fabric looks like it will bunch. Have to be careful of the points.
There is a product on the market now that looks like plastic ear plugs that the "inventor" show how to use the longer yellow pins to baste and protect the point by pushing the ear plug on to it.
Otherwise they are useless to me.
NEED SOME OF THOSE LITTLE EARPLUGS AS I USE MY PINS AND GET STUCK A LOT where did u get them...WHOOPS..didn't know i was captalizing..someone said that was the same as yelling....lol