Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opion of the machines like the cricut? >

What is your opion of the machines like the cricut?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM

I have two cricut machines, one is the 6 inch and one is the 12 inch. I think it is mainly for scrapbooking too. I have trouble cutting cardstock at times with the Cricut.
I also own the Alto Quilt Cut system, never used it, still in the box, debating about putting it on ebay if my daughter doesn't want it.
On the cricut machine you can press a button to repeat cut, this will cut the same pattern twice (right over the last cut) I have never tried material, but as with any tool, there are trials with different features, the blade, the pressure, the speed of the cutting, etc. So practice with someone elses machine before you invest in it. Cartridges are very pricey, do you really need to cut out shapes and letters that the cartridges offer, or basically straight lines, which would be the Alto Quilt cut system.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Thanks, that gives me an idea, why I might not want one.

I just don't think I would get that much useage of of it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM

I have the accuquilt studio/mark die cutter. I use my 2 1/2" strip cutter everytime I do a quilt just for the binding. My most used dies are the strips, blocks, I have the 12" & 10" block variety dies but I don't do much with them. Most are still wrapped and I've had them for over a year. What I like is that the strips and blocks come out the same size, I don't think I could be any faster or more accurate than the studio.
I also have a cricut to cut out letters/numbers to applique, it cuts various sizes up to 5 1/2". Accuquilt does sell dies for letters/numbers but I don't have the storage for all the dies and the cricut has lots of alphabets to choose from. Good luck choosing your cutter!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by nangars

I know there is one for paper and one for fabric. There is also another brand out there, not sure what the name is.

I understand that they do cut very well and the blades don't have to be replaced very often.

What are the pro's and con's on this?
I am a long time Sizzix user. Bought primarily for cutting fabric (original Sizzix lever down type). I purchased the Cricut Expression for cutting fabric too. I have cut applique shapes for one quilt in two years and it sits on the shelf. Fabric has to be stiffened beyond imagine to get a good cut with the Cricut, which means the fusible is stiff beyond my liking for a quilt. There is a serious learning curve and too many steps for me. Back to the Sizzix I always go! I purchased the Sizzix Big Kick about the same size as the Accuquilt Go Baby recently just to get a cutter that cranks the die through and is compatible with all the dies I already own. I love it. I have written a grant to purchase a used quilt shop Accuquilt Studio for the charity quilts we mass produce. Wish me luck.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 AM

I am sure glad I didn't buy one if they are that much trouble. It surely wouldn't be fun if you have to do that to the fabric before it will cut and then it is to hard for you to sew on it.
Why pay for something that ends up more work than it is worth, and I do know just what you saying about it sitting on a self and not being used, I have a few things like that over the years that I have purchased most are kitchen type.

Thanks so much for telling all of us out there that might buy it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The Cricut is more oriented to scrapbooking. These can do a lot of custom shapes, but just one at a time.

This is incorrect. I own all the different Cricut models and it can cut multiple of the same shape at one time. It utilizes a cutting mat in size 24" x 12" and you can lay it out and put in as many cuts as it will hold depending on size of the cut you are doing.

Scrapbookers think of it as a machine more oriented to scrapbooking but mixed media artist use it to cut just about anything they want to cut within the limitations of the functions.

It cuts fabric quite well, chipboard, thin medal, card stock, paper, vinyl, and a host of other materials.

I use the Expressions and the Imagine to print and cut fabric all the time. I simply put in my design to as many as the mat will hold, put in my fabric and let it cut all the pieces I have on that mat.

With the Expression you can use the 12 x 12 mat or the 24 x 12 mat. And like I said for as many of the item you can put on the mat that is how many it will cut.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Always check to see what dies are available for the machine you want. Most are for scrapbooking shapes. The Go and Studio have the dies for quilt shapes and are made for cutting fabric.

All dies can cut fabric no matter if they are accuquilt, sizzix, cricut, ellison, etc.

I have the Sizzix Big Shot Pro Westminster Edition die cutting machine and I use all sorts of name brand dies in it to cut fabric with, cardstock, chipboard and more. I also can use all the Accuquilt Go and most of the Studio dies in it.

Point being just because a die is for papercrafting it does not mean you cannot cut fabric with it and vice versa.

I've used some of Tim Holtz intricate dies to cut fabric with to make it 2D.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I have the personal cricut, the one just smaller than the expression. I love it for scrapbooking, cardmaking, but I can't get over the price of cartridges (for new shapes, etc). They have gone from $45 to $60! Once in a while you can pick up one with designs I've never been interested in for $40 (usually at Hobby Lobby). Since I'be begun quilting, it sits in the cupboard. LOL!
You can buy the circut cartridges on eBay for under $20 all day long. I've been doing so since 2009 and have well over 125 carts now and have never paid on average more than $20 for them, yes even the licensed ones, even the Imagine ones.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Check out the Silhouette, Wishblade, and the Pazzles Inspiration. These cutters connect right to your computer like a printer and you do NOT need to spend any extra money on the cartridges.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Your LQS may offer classes and allow you to use the "Go"machine for a small fee. If you only want to use it for a special type of shape that may be a way to go...