Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt? >

Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM

I also worked in flower shops for 30+ yrs and yet I've not seen this casket. I'm retired now, still miss the flowers, not all the customers though.
Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Originally Posted by PunkiePie
My FIL just passed and while making arrangements I saw this ....I really like it.
I worked for 30 years in floral industry. This design has been around for a lot of years. I have also seen where they take a persons quilts & hang them around the state room Or draped the casket with a favorite quilt.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM

[quote=pjaco]I also worked in flower shops for 30+ yrs and yet I've not seen this casket. I'm retired now, still miss the flowers, not all the customers though.[quote=Debra Mc][

I don't miss the nasty customers either. Nothing like a good funeral to bring out the best or worst in a family. Have seen more family feuds over funeral flowers.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM

So how is your body?? Knees? wrists/hands?? Mine is worn out and my girlfriends is suffering now, she's 5 yrs younger but chose the same career and still works. I started having some problems and they kept happening. Broke some bones, had surgeries, then had to take care of my parents etc. After my MIL, and parents passed...my husband couldn't work any more and lost his job of 27 yrs. Can't beleive all the crap (life) that's happened in the past 3 yrs but God is turning things around now. Praise him.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Wow that seems so much ...'warmer' than other things they use. I like it.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
So how is your body?? Knees? wrists/hands?? Mine is worn out and my girlfriends is suffering now, she's 5 yrs younger but chose the same career and still works. I started having some problems and they kept happening. Broke some bones, had surgeries, then had to take care of my parents etc. After my MIL, and parents passed...my husband couldn't work any more and lost his job of 27 yrs. Can't beleive all the crap (life) that's happened in the past 3 yrs but God is turning things around now. Praise him.
Well have had carpal tunnel surgey in both hands. Had trigger release on 3 fingers. Anterial cervical fussion on neck. Back still hurts some but a wonderful chiropractor has really helped me this last year. Lets don't even talk about the knees. I started working in shop during high school. I retired in 04 when I had neck surgery. I still love the flowers but I don't miss the constant deadlines & pressure. No one knows till they have walked a mile in our shoes. Hope things get better for you. PM me some time & we can talk about things. I probably called the shop you worked at.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM

I made a Chicago Bears quilt for my dear grandson when he took his own life at the age of 26 his quilt was laid on his casket insteasd of flowers. At the gravesite his quilt was put in his casket . That meant the world to me.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM

That's wonderful, being a Grandma I can only imagine the sadness you feel. I am so so sad for you and you are in my prayers. Working at a funeral home, you see many sad situations and it's hard to say all the right things, when many just want to talk, my input was hardly needed. God bless you.
Originally Posted by wpquilter
I made a Chicago Bears quilt for my dear grandson when he took his own life at the age of 26 his quilt was laid on his casket insteasd of flowers. At the gravesite his quilt was put in his casket . That meant the world to me.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM

The last funeral I went to had a quilt laid over the part that wasn't open. I want to find out if it was my cousin's or the funeral homes. A few ladies I sew with have been talking about making some for the local funeral homes to use, but that was the first time I had seen one actually used. I have never seen the inside with one though. A lady I know was hired to embroider some different things on satin for a man's coffin (tractor, farm scene) it was very nice and personal.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
What an interesting site, so much history information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM

That is interesting and enlightening. I love the thought of quilts being comforting and of course, warm always.
Originally Posted by littleone
Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
What an interesting site, so much history information. Thanks for sharing.