Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts >

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM

I make Linus quilts, use lots of my own fabric, but you can get fabric from the local Linus organisers, don`t know if that would be the same in the States. I use sheets to back quilts with, I source them on the internet. We have charity shops over here and sometimes you can get good quality cotton dresses and cut them up to use in quilts.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 AM

I was just looking for some denim for a braided rug, our local Goodwill sold jeans for $5/$6 ea. Our local Sr. center sold their jeans for $2 ea, with a special of $1 off all men's pants. In our area I have found Goodwill to be more expensive than other agencies I like to buy from Goodwill as they do good work, but I do look for a bargain too especially when sewing for charity.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM

If you need fabric, something as simple as posting a few ads on community bulletin boards, church or seniors' notice boards should bring you lots of donated fabric. Seniors are frequently down sizing or moving to assisted living and may be very willing to pass on their no longer needed fabric. Once the word got out in my area that I made quilts for Community Projects, I have had numerous calls about sewing related items (even a couple of machines!) all given because the original owner just wasn't stitching any more.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Check your local children's hospital for organizations that create quilts for kids. They may have a local source for you. There are also mill end shops that sell end runs. If you can get a sales tax licensce you can purchase from places like Choice Fabrics in Springfield, TN. (It was simply filling out a form.)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3124518AA3caDp

Good luck.

P.S. Beware that "sale" prices do not always mean good quality. If you are shopping online you may want to ask for a sample first.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Or, don't know if this has been mentioned yet...some ask for donations on this board in the Free Offers/Donations section.

Just state your charity and what you are asking for.

I scan thru there and occasionally donate and many others do too.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM

When I go to stores such as Hobby Lobby, I head for the clearance rack to find quality, discounted fabrics for Charity Quilts. Sometimes JoAnn's has a half price sale on their clearance fabric, which really brings it down. Also, my local quilt shop marks down their older fabric, say 2008, 2009, but it is still the same quality fabric by reputable manufacturers. I think I enjoy the fabric all the more sometimes to think I got such nice fabric at such a great price.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM

This is a great idea. I have been amazed at the people who advertise on craigs list that they are throwing bags of clothes, etc. out. Usually listed under the "curb alert" section.

Good luck and God Bless you for all you are doing. Do hope and pray that your Hubby and all others in similar situations will soon find employment.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com http://www.marshalldrygoods.com

I just checked out these two sites and the prices are very good. I've only seen two reviews (one each per site) and the customers were satified with their purchase.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM

When I moved from a large house to a smaller condo I donated literally yards and yards for charity quilts. I would suggest that you get in touch with a quilt group and see if you can get some help. Your local quilt shop should be able to direct you.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

I got a lot of stuff at estate sales and auctions. Also ask the members of different churches to donate used clothing and material scraps, sheets and blankets to use at batting. If your willing to pick it up many people are more than willing to donate.