Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes, it  *IS* a can of worms... advice? Suggestions? >

Yes, it *IS* a can of worms... advice? Suggestions?

Yes, it *IS* a can of worms... advice? Suggestions?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I would suggest, just emailing the customer and advising them that only part of their order is available (if your website does not tell them) and seeing if they want to have it shipped as two shipments (and occuring two shipping charges) or if they wanted to wait for fabric A and hope that is it available when fabric B comes in.

Sometimes people are buying things to go together and wouldn't want them unless they had them together. I think as long and you communicate honestly with your customers they will understand.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
You know what? All of you have just proved that people don't read. You all keep saying - send e-mail. The problem as stated is: sometimes they don't get their e-mails and shipper doesn't know and sometimes they just don't bother to respond. That's the problem. If they all responded the problem would be simple - pay extra or not?
Well there is always that old mode of communicating, the telephone. And horor of horrors, the United States Post Office still delivers for all of the folks that have not embraced technology. My only point is, the seller has the obligation to communicate with their customer, be it smoke signals or carrier pigeons. Just let the customer know what you are up against and most will respond logically given the opportunity to choose.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm an international customer and here's my tuppence worth!For me, money for "fun" things like fabric is a treat and I have to get the best value I can for it. I check the postage charges of the sellers and how many yards of fabric they can get into the enveolpe. I've always had 8 or 9 yards in a package and have never had a problem with the packages.

If only part of an order that I'd made was available, I would definitely want to know in advance to give me the option of either changing my order (I'd fill my envelope up with other fabric) or cancel it altogether. To me, I'm always working out the cost per yard including shipping, so to have an envelope half empty puts up the per yard cost of the fabric.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by misseva
You know what? All of you have just proved that people don't read.
Now, I hope you all will PLEASE not take offense.

This comment really has me laughing!

If I had a dollar for every time we (in the shop) have said to each other, "Yes, we have all the information out there but we just cannot force the customers to read it!" ... well, if I had those dollars, I would at least have enough for several VERY nice dinners out indeed!

:lol:

In fairness to our customers, I have to always keep in mind that English is not always their native language. And that does change things.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM

As a customer, if I'm ordering something, I do check my email & my phone messages to specifically look for communication from a seller. Most email a confirmation that my order was received, which is nice. Perhaps it is important to educate your consumer and have them refer to policies and stress that you will be communicating in a specific way! I also, usually read a companies policies before I order, so I know what to expect. (I know not everyone does that.) Something that seems like a simple practice in business might not be understood by the consumer. When placing an order, before your check-out can you have a pop-up that reminds them to read your policies to ensure their personal satisfaction with your business? Is that an option? Can you put more information with your shipping comments, as most people want to know what method or how the shipping is to be expected (ex; Post Office,UPS, or whatever). If a repeat of policies is here maybe they'll see it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM

I know what works for one shop does not necessarily work for another. I work at a large quilt shop. We send them an e-mail asking them if they want us to send what we have now or hold the order till the other fabric comes in. Usually because of shipping they ask us to to hold the order and ship it all at the same time. We have never been stuck with an order yet. But I can see where that might cause some consern.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

ALl of my wholesale dist are now cancelling BO's...they can not afford to WAIT to see if the items will be coming..and now with the whole fabric issues...I would NEVER take a PRE-order....esp without pre-paying!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM

I recently ordered two items and remembered to put in the comments box: If you don't have both, don't send any!
I got a very nice call from the store that item b would be in in three days. Did I want to cancel or have them hold the order! That was nice.
I don't remember if you have a comment box but a lot of web sites have a list to check about what to do in a case like that.
Cancel order
send what's available now.
Hold order until everything is available
Send what you have now and send other when it comes in with extra shipping.
Etc.

You could make up something to cover most problems and put it right on the order sheet. I don't know computers but you should be able to make it so the order won't go through unless something is checked.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Well, don't tell us!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I agree that a glass of wine would be VERY nice right now but wouldn't I be setting a really bad example by drinking on company time?

:shock:
:roll:
Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM

What about offering the options : a. separate envelopes, separate shipping. b. prepay for held items to be sent with backordered items. c. cancel