Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" seam allowance >

1/4" seam allowance

1/4" seam allowance

Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM

Just sew the seam over the cross that is formed where the two other seams meet and it will all fit and be OK as long as you keep the seams consistent.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM

It looks fine to me. Maybe because ALL of my points look like this LOL. But really when it is together it will be fine. I don't worry too much about everytthing being perfect. Those little imperfections add charm.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by dsb38327
Suggestion:
Have a moderator change your subject title to 1/4" seam allowance/setting points (or the professional name for it) and put this post in our tutorial section, please.
the tutorials section is exclusively for posting lessons members have written themselves that they'd like to share with the rest of us. those lessons are focused, organized, and include step-by-step instructions along with illustrations.

questions related to quilting are best posted here in Main.

this is an example of a proper tutorial. by an "interesting coincidence" i just happened to pic an example that talks about 1/4" seams. now, what are the odds of that? :lol:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89997-1.htm
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) Okay. :)
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM

IMHO, if you trim the pieced squares so that the points line up, you will have to do the same to the solid squares, and you would lose part of the design. Just go with it and enjoy the process. Next time make a sample block or blocks to see how they work together. I think there is a very lucky little girl in your world. It is beautiful.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM

I think the blocks are really pretty. I worked with that same princess material and found out their blocks were not square. It threw me till I figured it out. Hurray, it wasn't me!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM

When I have points to end in a seam, I put a pin through the point and on the 1/4 line of piece sewing through, if off slightly it doesn't seem to matter in the long run. I usually leave this pin sticking straight up and remove when near pressure foot when I can see that needle is aiming for that spot--actually 1 to 2 threads to the right of that spot. I also place regular pinning on each side of the point for stabilization.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM

The thing I found helps most is once your square is sewn, make sure and square them up to the "unfinished" size, before sewing the other squares together or the sashing on. It doesn't seem to me, just by looking, that you've done this before sewing the rest together. I used to have your same problem when I was new at it, had a more advanced quilter show me that, and I do it faithfully since. You'd be surprised how even slivers cut off really works. Just a suggestion. Don't get discouraged, hang in there...it gets better!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Do you square up your block after it is finished and before you sew it to another block??
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM

GrammaO,

I know how your feel. I am a fanatic about points being right & it bugs the heck out of me when they are not. I have learned to measure each block when I finish it all the way around and that way all of them start out right. If you trim one & make it a correct 1/4" S.A., then it might be shorter for attaching the next block. You can hopefully move your needle over one click to the right or left to get a more accurate seam.It takes a lot of practice to get consistant seam allowance with point correct. Now there are times that some points have the 1/4" taken off, but most come right to the point. I know I will never make any $ by fixing others, so I just do that to mine. It is the "what Mother taught me" syndrome. Most don't worry about it.

Peg-TX
Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 AM

I think it looks lovely the way it is