Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a LA quilter >

Finding a LA quilter

Finding a LA quilter

Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM

I have a large wedding quilt to get quilted and I cannot find anyone in our area who does this. All our quilt shops have closed. How does one go about finding a long arm quilter in their area. I live in Fairfield County, Connecticut
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Why limit yourself to one in your area? We have some amazing LAer right here on this board in all parts of the country. I think you can tell a lot by the pictures posted by them and if you like what you see go for it. This is what I did when I sent my quilt to be quilted by Greenfairy. She is in Utah I am in NY.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Why limit yourself to one in your area? We have some amazing LAer right here on this board in all parts of the country. I think you can tell a lot by the pictures posted by them and if you like what you see go for it. This is what I did when I sent my quilt to be quilted by Greenfairy. She is in Utah I am in NY.
The problem with not going local is that shipping to and from is a killer!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM

I am shipping completed King size quilts (approximately 4 pounds) for about $11 through UPS. That includes insurance.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
I am shipping completed King size quilts (approximately 4 pounds) for about $11 through UPS. That includes insurance.
Yes, but each way that adds up.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by calabella
I have a large wedding quilt to get quilted and I cannot find anyone in our area who does this. All our quilt shops have closed. How does one go about finding a long arm quilter in their area. I live in Fairfield County, Connecticut
Originally from CT. Have you looked into the Hartford area or possibly even Waterbury? What about close NY or MA shops, depending upon where you're located in Fairfield County. FYI: I'm also originally from Fairfield County.

Edit: I now live in KS so think nothing of driving for a bit to get where I need to go. That's why I suggested NY or MA as possible LAQ locations.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I'm concerned as to your hesitation to pay shipping of $22 to get a good LA quilter to do your quilt. If that is too much, are you sure you can pay the LA price? Just sayin...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by Candace
I'm concerned as to your hesitation to pay shipping of $22 to get a good LA quilter to do your quilt. If that is too much, are you sure you can pay the LA price? Just sayin...
And I'm just "sayin'" people like to stay local for several reasons, mailing costs being one. I would never send my quilt to be done by someone else, so it's not a concern of mine. But, yes add on another $25-$35 shipping on the cost of LA, will turn some folks away.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM

I'm with others, shipping isn't the expense it used to be. I have a friend that sent me his 80x90 quilt top, backing, batting AND a bottle of Mexican vanilla for under $16.00. So round trip -- maybe $30.00. I know that may be too much for some, but if you REALLY need to get it done..................